Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian: Squeeze vs. Wheezy On Linux And kFreeBSD

Phoronix: Debian: Squeeze vs. Wheezy On Linux And kFreeBSD

With Debian Wheezy now frozen for its release sometime next year, here are some early benchmarks comparing the performance of Debian 6.0.5 "Squeeze" to the latest packages for the Debian 7.0 "Wheezy" release. For this Squeeze vs. Wheezy comparison, both Debian GNU/Linux and Debian GNU/kFreeBSD were benchmarked from an Intel 64-bit system.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Bad charts

Impossible to tell which is Linux and kFreeBSD.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Impossible to tell which is Linux and kFreeBSD.
      Not impossible considering the rotated caption on the left side of the bars. Of course that different colors would be even better.

Comment

let's get to the chase. which gnome version is wheezy gonna run?

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
          let's get to the chase. which gnome version is wheezy gonna run?
          Well, currently it's running Gnome Shell 3.4.1 according to the system specs in the article.

I've been using GS 3.0 and higher on my Ubuntu-based work machine for the last 9 months without any issues (dual 1080p monitor, intel i7-2600k, Radeon 5450 with r600g, 8GB RAM). The decision to go with GS makes sense to me. Gnome Shell is nicely customizable for anyone with the ability to download extensions (or write their own in Javascript), and the Linux Mint project has come up with some very useful ones.

Comment

Sadly no mention of power consumption; any change between Squeeze and Wheezy, going to the Linux 3.2 kernel? And especially, does it differ between GNU/Linux and GNU/kFreeBSD in line with the performance difference (e.g. is the CPU is being under-utilised and drawing less power; or does it wastefully draw more power due to some inefficiency)?

Comment

Working...
            X