OUYA: A $99 Android Linux Game Console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kivada View Post
    ARM existed long before phones, and are used to make many things that are far more interesting then a phone.

We are a charity with the mission to enable young people to realise their full potential through the power of computing and digital technologies.

Built on the proven BeagleBoard.org® open source Linux approach, BeagleBone® AI fills the gap between small SBCs and more powerful industrial computers.

A global leader in embedded hardware development and manufacturing, Gumstix gives customers the power to solve their electronic design challenges.

Open-source electronic prototyping platform enabling users to create interactive electronic objects.

Now if only we could see some of these things get reviewed...
    Well, openpandora, beagleboard, and pandaboard is an expensive toys, I'd say.
    When ones can sell rpi for $35, just upgrade the mem and the proc, and you have to spend > $100 more? heheh.. Me, pass!!

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
    Actually I've wondered for a while why AMD hasn't done exactly this. They have all the necessary tech to whip up a console around a dual or quad core CPU and a top end GPU like the HD7900 series. Since they don't need all the other cruft you need in a standard ATX design it could easily be just a single board no bigger then that of a laptop mobo.

What do they gain by this? They likely get chance to set the gold standard for console ports to the PC, since the hardware is the same you can get on any computer. It also potentially puts a huge dent in Nvidia's sponsoring of games as well as the adoption of PhysX and CUDA in the gaming market.
    Agreed! Sometimes, I felt that thinking this way is too hard for them (AMD and the like).

Comment

• Weren't both the new xbox and ps4 boxes like you describe? AMD cpu + gpu.

Comment

Actually I've wondered for a while why AMD hasn't done exactly this. They have all the necessary tech to whip up a console around a dual or quad core CPU and a top end GPU like the HD7900 series. Since they don't need all the other cruft you need in a standard ATX design it could easily be just a single board no bigger then that of a laptop mobo.
        They would lose a crapton of money on that venture.

Comment

ARM existed long before phones, and are used to make many things that are far more interesting then a phone.
          I went through each and every link and can assure you that none of those products are as interesting as a smartphone. Using a SOC to build a cheap general purpose computer with USB..... That's useful to people building prototypes of products and consumers looking to create unique purpose driven appliances which the market does not supply. Once you've prototyped on an SOC breadboard, you tend to engineer a "far more interesting" production part, like a phone.

If you're an applied EE, and EE instructor, or an EE student, you might have a point. The RBPi is possibly the most disruptive educational technology introduced since the Arduino and Basic Stamp. From a historical perspective, it's nowhere near as interesting as the introduction of the solid state transistor or LED, it's simply a nicely packaged bundle of technology that has existed for well over a decade.

I'm not trying to diminish the Pi/Ard. I just feel you're making them out to be a bigger deal than they really are.

F

Comment

• Originally posted by johnc View Post
            They would lose a crapton of money on that venture.
            While I agree that they would lose (against Sony/MS) on a straight-up console, I could see them partnering with Verizon and Valve to replace the current POS DVR that comes with FIOS TV. Adding a CableCard to a console wouldn't be hard, and you would be guaranteed an internet-connected install base on which to sell games and services. A also agree that the 7900 series would put it outside of the console market's sweet spot as far as price is concerned.($200-300).

F

Comment

• Originally posted by russofris View Post
              While I agree that they would lose (against Sony/MS) on a straight-up console, I could see them partnering with Verizon and Valve to replace the current POS DVR that comes with FIOS TV. Adding a CableCard to a console wouldn't be hard, and you would be guaranteed an internet-connected install base on which to sell games and services. A also agree that the 7900 series would put it outside of the console market's sweet spot as far as price is concerned.($200-300).
              F
              A frankenstein A8-7850(4cpu cores + 1024gpu cores + 2GB GDDR5 shared) SOC with custom board maybe? But that already sounds like a PS4/XBOX720.

Comment

• Originally posted by russofris View Post
                While I agree that they would lose (against Sony/MS) on a straight-up console, I could see them partnering with Verizon and Valve to replace the current POS DVR that comes with FIOS TV.
                F
                Yes the console market is notoriously cutthroat, from what I read Microsoft was $4 billion back on the XBox'es before they stopped bleeding in their console division, I doubt they are anywhere near having made back that initial $4 billion loss yet. Got to hand it to them though, never thought a non-japanese console would ever become relevant again.

That said, while Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo are fighting over the console market we're seeing Apple/Google based devices of much lesser hardware specs taking the large casual gamer segment full on, and while initially it may mainly affect portable devices like 3ds, psp I think that in the long run the console market will end up being the exclusive domain of hardcore gamers and thus not able to sustain all the current players in the high-end console arena due to the huge investments required to compete.

As for the OUYA, love the idea, a cheap, open, casual gamer console and another potential outlet for indie games, I'm getting one.

Also, from the article Micheal wrote: -"It's an interesting open game console design, but will likely be trumped in the coming year by something much more interesting."

Is this a reference to the steambox thingy? I though it had been officially debunked, or?

Comment

• Originally posted by t.s. View Post
                  Well, openpandora, beagleboard, and pandaboard is an expensive toys, I'd say.
                  When ones can sell rpi for $35, just upgrade the mem and the proc, and you have to spend > $100 more? heheh.. Me, pass!!

Agreed! Sometimes, I felt that thinking this way is too hard for them (AMD and the like).
                  Eh, the OP, while using a now outdated SoC is actually priced close to what the same would cost if bought outright from a phone or console company, it's a PDA with a good touchscreen, actual button keyboard, good analog game controls, standard USB jacks, dual SD card slots, TV out and really really good battery life.

Think PSP+wifi only iPad with an OS that can actually be used for real work when need be.

Comment

• I'm still not sure whether or not this is a scam yet.
                    The images are all renders, nothing tangible.
                    No homepage
                    There is no agreement from Mojang that minecraft will be on it, like they proudly claim.
                    fuseproject doesn't mention Ouya at all.

I want more information before i trust.

Comment

• I think Steam and OUYA would make a beautiful couple :-)

Comment

Working...
                      X