OUYA: A $99 Android Linux Game Console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

russofris:

The last time I checked, smartphones with HDMI out were rather expensive (>> $100) and didn't work with control pads (I never really cared about smartphones though, so this may have changed). Expecting it to outperform a PS3 or Xbox 360 is asking rather a lot - those are sold at a loss, with money being made back on the games.

Think about it a little longer before you discount it. It's a games console that's very cheap and comes with a lot of free games. Android is a popular platform and this would give people without much money or technical know-how (we're all pretty clued up on this forum) a chance to play well-known, modern games.

I can afford an Xbox 360, but I'd rather get one of these - the ability to hack it sounds fun, and it would give me a chance to play with Android - what's not to like?

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
      Me: Looking at newegg, I can procure an AMD/APU based platform for $150 with an order-of-magnitude better performance. I can install Android or Gnu for free and purchase any controller accessory I want with prices ranging from $20 to $80. What would compel me to purchase your $100 box over something with 10X the performance for $160.
      AMD E-450-based console with GOG.com integration... Just dreaming.

BTW Since OUYA uses Tegra, it isn't truly open console.

Comment

Originally posted by archibald View Post
        russofris:

The last time I checked, smartphones with HDMI out were rather expensive (>> $100) and didn't work with control pads (I never really cared about smartphones though, so this may have changed).
        Don't know about the US, but in Europe you can already buy an Android tablet with HDMI out for less than ?100. Though it's only single-core Cortex A8 device (Allwinner A10). Expect more to come from our Chinese friends though!

Comment

Originally posted by kwahoo View Post
          AMD E-450-based console with GOG.com integration... Just dreaming.
          With a release days 1-2 years in the future, you would probably be looking at a Trinity based set-up. Use USB/flash for local storage and optional ODD. Design a cheap case around it. Use a power brick. $150 MSRP. Anyone could release this in the next 6 months. It probably wouldn't sell either, despite being 100% open (unlike the tegra based offering).

The last time I checked, smartphones with HDMI out were rather expensive (>> $100) and didn't work with control pads (I never really cared about smartphones though, so this may have changed)
          Indeed. This has changed. Any device with bluetooth has always supported bluetooth game controllers. It's simply that there was no input API (Direct Input, SDL, or whatever the iOS API happens to be). Both this and the cost associated with the device has changed. In addition, my iPhone was $100... Plus a 2 year commitment, at a reduced rate (saves $20/month) due to the bundling under my Verizon "OnePay" FIOS/Wireless household plan. I know it's complicated, but you get the point that it isn't as expensive as it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by whaevr View Post
            Before watching the video
            Oh joy. Another half baked open source gaming console

After watching the video
            Holy shit they might actually be on to something. Im actually slightly interested in buying one of these
            Me too...wanted to always hack on a game console

Also maybe an open system for making donations DIRECTLY to the game developers?

Comment

I've given the article 10 minutes of thought. My current opinion is that this won't work out for the company. Here's part of the conversation I had in my head.

Company: We have a new open $100 game console. It runs android.
              Me: That's neat. So it's like a smartphone, that plays games and plugs into my TV, just like the smartphone in my pocket.
              Company: Yes, except this is tethered to a power outlet, and can't make calls, and doesn't have a built in camera. We do have an ergonomic controller though.
              ARM existed long before phones, and are used to make many things that are far more interesting then a phone.

We are a charity with the mission to enable young people to realise their full potential through the power of computing and digital technologies.

Built on the proven BeagleBoard.org® open source Linux approach, BeagleBone® AI fills the gap between small SBCs and more powerful industrial computers.

A global leader in embedded hardware development and manufacturing, Gumstix gives customers the power to solve their electronic design challenges.

Open-source electronic prototyping platform enabling users to create interactive electronic objects.

Now if only we could see some of these things get reviewed...

Comment

With a release days 1-2 years in the future, you would probably be looking at a Trinity based set-up. Use USB/flash for local storage and optional ODD. Design a cheap case around it. Use a power brick. $150 MSRP. Anyone could release this in the next 6 months. It probably wouldn't sell either, despite being 100% open (unlike the tegra based offering).
                Actually I've wondered for a while why AMD hasn't done exactly this. They have all the necessary tech to whip up a console around a dual or quad core CPU and a top end GPU like the HD7900 series. Since they don't need all the other cruft you need in a standard ATX design it could easily be just a single board no bigger then that of a laptop mobo.

What do they gain by this? They likely get chance to set the gold standard for console ports to the PC, since the hardware is the same you can get on any computer. It also potentially puts a huge dent in Nvidia's sponsoring of games as well as the adoption of PhysX and CUDA in the gaming market.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                  ARM existed long before phones, and are used to make many things that are far more interesting then a phone.

We are a charity with the mission to enable young people to realise their full potential through the power of computing and digital technologies.

Built on the proven BeagleBoard.org® open source Linux approach, BeagleBone® AI fills the gap between small SBCs and more powerful industrial computers.

A global leader in embedded hardware development and manufacturing, Gumstix gives customers the power to solve their electronic design challenges.

Open-source electronic prototyping platform enabling users to create interactive electronic objects.

Now if only we could see some of these things get reviewed...
                  Those projects are somewhat similar to this;

Comment

Originally posted by Micket View Post
                    Those projects are somewhat similar to this;
                    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...rt-tv?ref=live
                    Actually all but the Cotton Candy are in production and can be bought today, they are also far more varied then a simple micro-HTPC, the OP is a really good portable computer that can emulate pretty much all the old consoles up through the Playstation and N64. The RPi is an interesting dirt cheap board.

The others are various types of developer boards that can and are used to make all kinds of interesting bits of hardware.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                      Don't know about the US, but in Europe you can already buy an Android tablet with HDMI out for less than ?100.
                      Ah yes, I'd forgotten about Storage Options - I was even planning on buying theirs!

Indeed. This has changed. Any device with bluetooth has always supported bluetooth game controllers.In addition, my iPhone was $100... Plus a 2 year commitment, at a reduced rate (saves $20/month) due to the bundling under my Verizon "OnePay" FIOS/Wireless household plan. I know it's complicated, but you get the point that it isn't as expensive as it seems.
                      I was thinking more of parents buying this for children (who are less likely to have smartphones), but your point still stands.

Comment

Working...
                      X