No announcement yet.

OUYA: A $99 Android Linux Game Console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heh, Android-based tablet for Christians http://www.familychristian.com/edifi

I hear it will segfault if you type in 'darwin' or 'theory of evolution'

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      Are you RETARDED or something?
      Jailbreaking is for BREAKING OUT OF A CHROOT JAIL.
      Android DOES NOT USE CHROOT JAIL.

When you buy a laptop, do you select the mainboard separately?
      No, I didn't think so.

Tablets are JUST LIKE LAPTOPS.

Default is irrelevant.
      Samsung devices are firmware unlocked FROM FACTORY.
      Loading custom firmware to it is AS TRIVIAL as installing GNU/Linux on a laptop that ships with msvirus.

HTC devices are firmware unlockABLE from factory.
      You go to their website and enter your IMEI to unlock, then they are as trivial as Samsung devices.

All CHINESE TABLETS are UNLOCKED from factory. Just install your custom firmware. TRIVIAL.

THERE IS NO HACKING AT ALL REQUIRED TO INSTALL DIFFERENT OS ON THE MAJORITY OF ANDROID PHONES AND TABLETS!!!!
      The fuck would I know that? I don't bother with the Android not fully OSS compatible hardware. Can you use the Android drivers with an ARM Linux distro? Last I checked no, at least for display drivers.

As for laptops, the last laptop i bought was a 2001 iBook that lasted me until 2009, I've no need for another laptop currently but if I did I'd order something from Zareason, System76 or Ohava and not have to wonder if everything will work out of the box or not.

But as I said, counting Android as a Linux install is like counting dead people in a census.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
        counting Android as a Linux install is like counting dead people in a census.
        Coming up with a metaphor that makes sense is like eating Elmer's glue.

Comment

But as I said, counting Android as a Linux install is like counting dead people in a census.
          Because you equal 'Linux' with a desktop distro?

Android uses Linux, so yes it's a 'Linux device' in that respect, particularly as a kernel is 'quite' an important part of an operating system.

That said it's probably not something to run around and shout from the rooftops about though, it's just a result of Linux being a very flexible and performant kernel which was just as true before it was used as the base for the Android operating system.

Comment

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
            Because you equal 'Linux' with a desktop distro?

Android uses Linux, so yes it's a 'Linux device' in that respect, particularly as a kernel is 'quite' an important part of an operating system.

That said it's probably not something to run around and shout from the rooftops about though, it's just a result of Linux being a very flexible and performant kernel which was just as true before it was used as the base for the Android operating system.
            Unless you can do with it all that you can do on a standard distro and unless all software running on top of it can be ported to another distro IT'S NOT LINUX.

It's like I equated to it before, an Xbox360 runs the NT kernel, does that count as a Windows install? No, it does not. MOst digital "smart grid" electrical meters being installed in my area run WinCE, do they count as Windows? No.

Android is as much Linux as TiVO is Linux or the DVD player sitting under my TV is Linux. For what they do it means fuckall of nothing what kernel they use, be it Linux, BSD, RTOS, DOS, NT, it just doesn't matter, as they are incapable of being what you say they are.

Comment

It's like I equated to it before, an Xbox360 runs the NT kernel, does that count as a Windows install?
              Sure, but i do count it as an NT kernel install. Isn't that similar to saying Android is a linux install, but not a full Ubuntu or GNU/Linux install? Seems like the same thing to me.

Comment

Originally posted by TobiSGD View Post
                They stated that they want this machine to be open for developers, so it shouldn't be difficult to develop/port educational software for that. If there is a market for such software it shouldn't take a long time until such software is available.
                Thank you, and I understand that; Ultimately what I was suggesting was going to that extra bit of effort for those with (approved?) educational goals; create a portal/live chat with higher priority for extra assistance, input from dev's (expensive, but I'm just putting out suggestions=) etc. Regardless, looks like a fun box!
                Hi

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  Sure, but i do count it as an NT kernel install. Isn't that similar to saying Android is a linux install, but not a full Ubuntu or GNU/Linux install? Seems like the same thing to me.
                  Because the kernel is irrelevant on a locked device. The kernel is irrelevant if what is built upon it cannot be put on general purpose devices using the same kernel.

Linux=only the kernel stopped being part of the lexicon over a decade ago. Just like the only people that say "GNU/Linux" are anal retentive douche bags. When you say Linux people think Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint, Gentoo, Arch. They don't think "OOOOooo... This washing machine runs the Linux kernel!" Why? Because what the washing machine runs means jack shit.

Seriously, you guys are like, I think it was RMS trying to argue that the GPL is not inherently communistic by design. It was some video a long time ago.
                  Last edited by Kivada; 12 July 2012, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Micket View Post
                    Just counting gflops doesn't really tell how stuff will look. Isn't it just better to look at, say,
                    Read more here: http://nvda.ly/ACV3mThis preview shows you Tegra 3 optimized games coming in 2012. Look out for them in TegraZone.

which admitedly is a showcase by nvidia themselves and thus not very objective. But from this i'd say.. not that impressive, but it is certainly capable hardware.
                    Exactly. Cycles can move mountains or carts. Also like mentioned these SoC are built around multi cores. Having 12 GPU cores is simply the default release specs for Tegra 3. I included a link to the might of the Tegra 3 compared to consoles and desktop gfx, and in 2013 to 2014 they believe they will archives xbo360 speeds. I'm not sure if those projection include a Tegra 4.

It's all subjective to the configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                      The one that "just works", of course. And considering how Ubuntu 12.04 is an unmitigated disaster on my desktop but my Android tablet and phone are generally trouble-free... I know which one I'm buying.
                      The point is you can't rate a system on it merely having similar kernels. Android as a whole is not conventional Linux. In Android I'm pretty much forced to use Java programs.

Comment

Working...
                      X