OUYA: A $99 Android Linux Game Console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kwahoo View Post
    Are you trying compare Tegra 3 GPU (7,2 GFLOPS@300MHz) and Xbox 360 GPU (240 GFLOPS@500MHz)?
    I think that it is important to recognize that the entertainment value of a device is less about the physical specs than it is about what it can do. Commercial console games are typically boring and unimaginative. Repetitive use of the same concept with different themes and graphics differentiating them. This is mass media developed to satisfy brainless consumers, very much like major music studios (most common popular music sounds the same), hollywood, etc. -- which is so bloated and lost that they can't come up with anything new, so we're seeing stupid crap like REMAKES of classics (from the days when they still had imaginations), and ill-conceived sequels (indiana jones 4, etc.)

I, for one, would be MUCH more impressed by a new, smaller and simpler game, that was unique and imaginative.

Comment

Huston, we got a problem

I don't have a telly?

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
        And YOU seem to think that Linux = GNU/Linux.
        Android/Linux is as much Linux as GNU/Linux, but Android/Linux is NOT= GNU/Linux.

Linux is the KERNEL, which can run Android (popular, outsells MSWONDOZE 4:1) or GNU (unpopular, out[sold/used/?] by MSWONDOZE 10:1) on top of it.
        Well Android may as well be "MSWONDOZE" if the implementation on most devices is any hint as to what cancer is killing computing by making computers nothing more then dumb appliances with back doors for companies and governments to literally track your every move and thought.

I'll still take real Linux on hardware that hasn't been compromised by anyone but the Chinese.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
          I don't have a telly?
          It has HDMI out, you don't have an LCD screen with at least DVI?

Comment

I think that it is important to recognize that the entertainment value of a device is less about the physical specs than it is about what it can do. Commercial console games are typically boring and unimaginative. Repetitive use of the same concept with different themes and graphics differentiating them. This is mass media developed to satisfy brainless consumers, very much like major music studios (most common popular music sounds the same), hollywood, etc. -- which is so bloated and lost that they can't come up with anything new, so we're seeing stupid crap like REMAKES of classics (from the days when they still had imaginations), and ill-conceived sequels (indiana jones 4, etc.)

I, for one, would be MUCH more impressed by a new, smaller and simpler game, that was unique and imaginative.
            I'm for that so long as it's more imagination then we see with the OSS gaming world.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
              I'm for that so long as it's more imagination then we see with the OSS gaming world.
              Its the PLATFORM that is OSS. Not (necessarily) the games. This platform will be open for commercial development as well, including those organizations not big enough to get through the barrier to entry of the big closed platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                Well Android may as well be "MSWONDOZE" if the implementation on most devices is any hint as to what cancer is killing computing by making computers nothing more then dumb appliances with back doors for companies and governments to literally track your every move and thought.

I'll still take real Linux on hardware that hasn't been compromised by anyone but the Chinese.
                As I've said, Android is fully REAL LINUX. There is nothing about it that is ANY LESS LINUX than that Debian server that you drool over that nobody will let you touch.

And as always, Android REMAINS OPEN SOURCE. "device" implementations are of no importance.
                If you like, you can always get an Android device (phone or tablet) that has only been compromised by the Chinese. LOTS of those available, dirt cheap.

Comment

I'm happy to see another group taking a shot at this.
                  I am sad to see that they are attempting this with low-performance hardware.
                  I'd love to see an AMD Trinity based platform.

F

Comment

Originally posted by kwahoo View Post
                    Are you trying compare Tegra 3 GPU (7,2 GFLOPS@300MHz) and Xbox 360 GPU (240 GFLOPS@500MHz)?
                    For starters the maximum frequency of a Tegra 3 quad core is 1.4 GHz with a 520MHz GPU, per core. Then consider the 12 core GPU in a basic Tegra 3.

I wasn't implying the Tegra was better than the xbox 360 at graphics but coming up to range., especially when scoped with Xbox 1. The range is 40-80% in my guess. Maybe I'm wrong as I really haven't done thorough research. Also it's all subjective.

NVIDIA Jetson is the world’s leading AI computing platform for GPU-accelerated parallel processing in mobile embedded systems.

Check this out:
                    Last edited by e8hffff; 11 July 2012, 12:17 PM.

Comment

As I've said, Android is fully REAL LINUX. There is nothing about it that is ANY LESS LINUX than that Debian server that you drool over that nobody will let you touch.
                      Some times the best way to look at something is to see its reverse argument.

Example, You have an new Android tablet, or a new released Ubuntu 12.04 tablet. Which one do you buy?

I'd buy the real Linux one, and that's Ubuntu in this case. Real Linux could be argued as your own built kernel, as well.

Lets not forget Android runs a Java layer for all its commercial and public content. I don't call that real GNU/Linux.

Comment

Working...
                      X