Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video: Wayland's Weston Gains Sliding Support

Phoronix: Video: Wayland's Weston Gains Sliding Support

The latest feature for Wayland's Weston reference compositor / shell is a sliding layout effect...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Stupid

Wayland/Weston seems stupid.
    Every widget toolkit needs to draw their own window decorators, that is stupid.
    Isn't that the job of the window manager?

Also, every window manager needs to implement their own Wayland display server?
    Thats code complexity and overhead and duplication of code.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      It can work both ways. Kwin will draw its own window decorations.

I don't think it's more complex than to implement an X window manager.

Comment

Wow, what a yummy treaty to Michael, the patch sender has even provided a video himself,
        so Michael doesn't have to record anything.

Aside that though, I'm not sure I've seen Hoegsberg actually greenlighting the patches yet?
        Would be funny if it didn't get merged at all, and people would start complaining due to this article..

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
          Wow, what a yummy treaty to Michael, the patch sender has even provided a video himself,
          so Michael doesn't have to record anything.

Aside that though, I'm not sure I've seen Hoegsberg actually greenlighting the patches yet?
          Would be funny if it didn't get merged at all, and people would start complaining due to this article..
          Nope. It's not even merged into the weston repo yet! I checked the webgit thing.

Comment

It looks more like something that should be in a specific DE/plugin then directly in Weston.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
              It looks more like something that should be in a specific DE/plugin then directly in Weston.
              Well, Weston is the equivalent of KWin/Compiz/etc.

It does seem like lots of these features probably aren't useful in a reference design that won't be directly used by any of the major desktops, but I suppose it's useful to show what's possible on top of Wayland and to make sure everything is working.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                Well, Weston is the equivalent of KWin/Compiz/etc.

It does seem like lots of these features probably aren't useful in a reference design that won't be directly used by any of the major desktops, but I suppose it's useful to show what's possible on top of Wayland and to make sure everything is working.
                Yep, that's the point I think, just as with rotating surfaces (demonstration of arbitrary and transparent transformations);

Comment

I think you are stupid. Now what?

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
                    I think you are stupid. Now what?
                    Then you might be right.
                    But am I wrong?

Comment

Working...
                    X