Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DisplayLink USB GPU Hot-Plugging On Linux

Phoronix: DisplayLink USB GPU Hot-Plugging On Linux

With the very latest X.Org code, DisplayLink USB GPU hot-plugging now works properly under Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yeah! One USB cable docking station, here I come

Comment

Originally posted by disi View Post
      Yeah! One USB cable docking station, here I come
      Don't you need something faster than that??? I mean we are heading towards 4k monitors. I don't think usb can do that.

On another note a technology like thunderbolt is cool but being intel only somehow spoils it. One cable connections are cool though.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        Don't you need something faster than that??? I mean we are heading towards 4k monitors. I don't think usb can do that.

On another note a technology like thunderbolt is cool but being intel only somehow spoils it. One cable connections are cool though.
        The USB 3.0 DisplayLink chips are already there, they work on a new kernel driver as well and I got the ports in the laptop... just a matter of time.

Also, this doesn't mean you cannot use the laptop display for videos, games etc. and on the external a browser window, terminal or something else open (this is how I work at the moment).

Comment

So i've built all the required bits under gentoo, and have it running. xrandr --listproviders shows me:

Code:
          Providers: number : 2
          Provider 0: id: 114 cap: 0 nc: 2 no: 8 nap 0 name:Intel
          Provider 1: id: 65 cap: 0 nc: 1 no: 1 nap 0 name:modesetting
          but I cannot figure out how to use --setprovideroutputsource <prov-xid> <source-xid> or --setprovideroffloadsink <prov-xid> <sink-xid> to do anything interesting. every time I try (and i've tried every combination I can think of) , I get either:

Code:
          xrandr --setprovideroutputsource 65 114
          X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
            Major opcode of failed request:  139 (RANDR)
            Minor opcode of failed request:  35 ()
            Value in failed request:  0x41
            Serial number of failed request:  11
            Current serial number in output stream:  12
          or

Code:
          xrandr --setprovideroutputsource 1 0
          X Error of failed request:  148
            Major opcode of failed request:  139 (RANDR)
            Minor opcode of failed request:  35 ()
            Serial number of failed request:  11
            Current serial number in output stream:  12
          anyone else actually trying to use this?

Comment

Working...
          X