X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to install NVIDIA Linux graphics drivers on FC

hi,

I am newbie here, just learn.
    I want to khow how to install NVIDIA Linux graphics drivers on FC, need step-by-step.

Thanks.

Originally posted by inewbie View Post
    hi,

I am newbie here, just learn.
    I want to khow how to install NVIDIA Linux graphics drivers on FC, need step-by-step.

Thanks.
    1. Make sure you have the kernel-sources, gcc and make packages installed.

2. Download the latest driver from Nvidia's site.

3. Go into runlevel 3 (no GUI). This can be acheived several ways:

a) By typing CTRL+ALT+F1(or F2-F6), then logging in as root and typing init 3

b) By typing a 3 at the GRUB boot prompt.

c) By editing your /etc/inittab. See below for details.

d) Debian users may need to use /etc/init.d/gdm stop instead.

4. Log in as root user, if you aren't already.

5. Find the driver you just downloaded and run it using something like sh NVIDIA-1.0.8174.run

6. If it gives you an error for rivafb support, ignore it.

7. Stay logged in as root and type modprobe nvidia

NOTE:As of version 8174 of the Nvidia driver, you no longer need to manually edit your xorg.conf file. Skip steps 8 and 9 if you are installing this version or newer.

8. Edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf in the section marked "Devices" that looks something like this:

Section "Device" Identifier "Nvidia Geforce 2" Driver "nv"

9. Change the "nv" line to "nvidia"

NOTE: Some distributions use XFree86 instead of X.org. The steps are the same, you're simply editing a different file: the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file.

10. Log out as root, and back in as a regular user, then type startx

11. If you see the Nvidia logo flash then you're done. If not your X Windows will error out. Start a thread, post the errors, and we'll try and help you from there.

**Editing your /etc/inittab**
    Some distributions require you to edit your /etc/inittab file in order to boot in to non-graphical mode, which is required in order to install the Nvidia drivers. there are no nvidia ntune linux version now, so here is how you do it:

1. Log in as root user from a console window by typing su and your root (administrator) password when it prompts you.

2. Open up your /etc/inittab file with a simple text editor. Any one will do but I like pico, so for example purposes that's what I'll use:

pico /etc/inittab

3. Look for a line that looks something like this:

id:5:initdefault

4. Change the 5 to a 3

5. Save the file and reboot.

6. Once Linux goes through its regular boot screens you should be greeted with a simple text login screen. Continue from step 4 above.

Comment

Also, since updates are coming frequently via yum these days, any time you want to update the kernel or the X server, or any other package that directly impinges on the X driver:

Go to run level 3 (/sbin/init 3) (not using X driver)

uninstall the NVidia driver, e.g.:
      ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-173.14.12-pkg2.run --uninstall

Do the yum updates:
      yum update

Change boot default level in /etc/inittab to 3, so it comes up to that level after the reboot.

reboot to put the new kernel into effect.

Re-install the NVidia driver:
      ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-173.14.12-pkg2.run

Restore the run level to 5 in /etc/inittab

Comment

Working...
      X