Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most for your money, open source AMD or Intel drivers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most for your money, open source AMD or Intel drivers?

As a general rule, which has the most units of speed per dollars spent, open source AMD or Intel drivers. How big is the gap?

Depends on what you want to do. In general I would think that the AMD cards have better 3D performance, even with the free drivers. If it comes to video decoding on the graphics hardware, this is non-existent on AMD with open source drivers.

Comment

Both lack something, as mentioned AMD has no video decoding accel, but Intel has problems with their texture filtering quality for example. IIRC Ivy improved that, but it's still a lot worse than even old AMD cards.

On raw speed per buck AMD should win.

Comment

Well when you compare the cpus with gpu integrated i would say intel wins for linux support. Also the cpu part is usually faster with intel. For desktop systems that does not really matter, you can add any card, but dont forget that highend parts are no good idea to run with oss drivers. Those do not provide the usual performance, need usually much more energy - compared to binary drivers. And if you use binary drivers well then amd is the wrong choice anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Well when you compare the cpus with gpu integrated i would say intel wins for linux support. Also the cpu part is usually faster with intel. For desktop systems that does not really matter, you can add any card, but dont forget that highend parts are no good idea to run with oss drivers. Those do not provide the usual performance, need usually much more energy - compared to binary drivers. And if you use binary drivers well then amd is the wrong choice anyway.
          Unless you intend to use it temporarily until the open source driver improves some more.

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
            Unless you intend to use it temporarily until the open source driver improves some more.
            I've been temporary for 5 years. As of 2012, I went NVidia and am now permanent, temporary is now kaputt. Life it too short and full with more important matters than wait/care for open drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              I've been temporary for 5 years. As of 2012, I went NVidia and am now permanent, temporary is now kaputt. Life it too short and full with more important matters than wait/care for open drivers.
              Has it really been that long?! Sheesh. I had AMD in both HTPC and notebook. Now I have NVIDIA in HTPC and when I replace notebook I'll be shying away from AMD. Either Ivy Bridge/HD4000 or with discrete NVIDIA.

What would really interest me these days would be a NVIDIA Tegra 3 based netbook.... or a new Tegra based on ARMv8 core.

Comment

Originally posted by amphigory View Post
                What would really interest me these days would be a NVIDIA Tegra 3 based netbook.... or a new Tegra based on ARMv8 core.
                Enjoy never being able to update the kernel after the device has been out six months.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  Enjoy never being able to update the kernel after the device has been out six months.
                  Yeah... and current Tegra 3 only has kernel 3.1 support. Boo.

Comment

Working...
                  X