high cpu usage in xbmc with crystalhd / OSS radeon driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high cpu usage in xbmc with crystalhd / OSS radeon driver

Dell Inspiron zino HD 410 (phenom x3 @ 2.1GHz, ATI 5450). Ubuntu 12.04 with xorg-edgers PPA (kernel 3.5, some radeon git from june ...).

In windows with crystalhd + ati my CPU load is less than 10%.
    In Linux it's about 70%. If I use fglrx it's much lower but the problems outweigh the benefits there, since it consistently panics the kernel on shutdown.

Now I do believe that, since xbmc draws via OpenGL, most of that load comes from simply drawing to the screen.

Any ideas? Or is it just that slow?

ahh, don't use software that draws to opengl

Comment

xbmc is a bit of a hog. You may notice that CPU usage is high and the UI is sluggish, even when not decoding video.

There are crystalhd patches available for xine, and also crystalhd plugin for totem.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
        xbmc is a bit of a hog. You may notice that CPU usage is high and the UI is sluggish, even when not decoding video.

There are crystalhd patches available for xine, and also crystalhd plugin for totem.
        I wish you'd read my post. I use crystalhd, why else would I mention it. In fact, crystalhd is builtin with ubuntu 12.04, which is why I chose that.

xbmc is usually not a hog on that pc, but the slow nature of the OSS drivers seem to make it one.

Comment

Working...
        X