Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Software Finds Bugs With Linux Kernel

Phoronix: Valve Software Finds Bugs With Linux Kernel

As Valve Software's Linux efforts continue to advance, they uncover Linux bugs. Fortunately, at least one Valve-spotted Linux kernel bug has now been corrected by NVIDIA...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

'90s not 90's

The former Microsoft employee from the 90's is now an Ubuntu Xfce user.
    It is '90s, not 90's.

Please read The Chicago Manual of Style, Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical Publications or at least the Wikipedia Manual of Style.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      It is '90s, not 90's.
      Yes I know, but when I'm writing 6+ articles per day and doing other work on top of that, such mistakes end up being inevitable from time to time.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I don't think this was a "bug", so much as a new feature

Although I'm not really sure what that code is used for. Can someone explain? Is it even in the kernel, or is just some debug lib shipped with the kernel?

Comment

Valve's Linux efforts are the best thing to happen to desktop Linux for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            Valve's Linux efforts are the best thing to happen to desktop Linux for a long time.
            The thing i hope it will help most is Open Drivers but i am not holding my breath for it.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
              Damn right. Everything is slowly starting to come together and play nice on the graphics front: Wayland, Steam, Intel's open source driver efforts, etc. Now if only the audio side was as cooperative...

Comment

Originally posted by 1c3d0g View Post
                Damn right. Everything is slowly starting to come together and play nice on the graphics front: Wayland, Steam, Intel's open source driver efforts, etc. Now if only the audio side was as cooperative...
                Pulse is working beautifully -if you exclude professional audio. What are you on about?

Comment

ugh.. really? Pulseaudio :/ I hope nobody requires that useless abstraction layer.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
                    ugh.. really? Pulseaudio :/ I hope nobody requires that useless abstraction layer.
                    It's not useless if you have bluetooth headsets, multiple outputs, jack or HDMI outputs, multichannel speakers... or need some handy features like application specific volumen controls, filters and equalizers or multiple simultaneous or fast output switching or networking or... essentially if you are not doing pro-audio or living in a stone age then you are probably better off with PulseAudio than dmix (ALSA).

Comment

Working...
                    X