Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla To Shaft Thunderbird Next Week

Phoronix: Mozilla To Shaft Thunderbird Next Week

Mozilla will be announcing Monday that they will be basically stripping away their resources towards the advancement of the Thunderbird e-mail client...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This seams like sad news, Tunderbird is one of the few email client (on any platform) that i am happy with, but even so it is still lacking a lot of features and many of it's plugins are shoddy.

Comment

Whoops. Didn't Canonical just switch to it from Evolution?

Comment

This is definitely unfortunate. I use TB on my work machine in Ubuntu on a daily basis, and I wouldn't like to go back to Evolution... It's more than I need.

On my personal machines, Thunderbird is perfect. I have one email client that works the same in Windows 7, MacOS, and Linux (Mint+Ubuntu). They all get their email through IMAP, contacts through Zindus (gmail contacts), and calendars through WebDAV. No matter which of my machines I am on, I have the same contents and user experience... I'd hate to lose that.

Comment

With Thunderbird being one of the few good Linux e-mail clients out there, this is unfortunate news.
          What is even more unfortunate it is one of the few true crossplatform clients. I personally would rather see FF die then Thunderbird.

Comment

Didn't Mozilla already make Thunderbird a community project and reversed the decision after one major release? Why attempt it again?

Comment

Webmail has taken over the world

Originally posted by CTown View Post
              Didn't Mozilla already make Thunderbird a community project and reversed the decision after one major release? Why attempt it again?
              The thing is that Mozilla products (with a few exceptions) are aimed at large masses. Thunderbird sat at the border of "masses" and "business". The masses has long ago migrated to webmail. Business is over half using MS products, which doesn't integrate well (if at all) with Thunderbird.

As much as I thought Thunderbird was better than Evolution, I think this makes sense for Mozilla.

I myself haven't used anything but webmail for 2 years, and for another 3 or 4, I was only on-and-off on a client (which was indeed Thunderbird).

Comment

It's not as if it's been a high priority project for them, ever. Their best product ever was the Suite, it's what made their browser more useful than anyone else's. They forgot that a long time ago. So it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by ghexsel View Post
                  The thing is that Mozilla products (with a few exceptions) are aimed at large masses. Thunderbird sat at the border of "masses" and "business". The masses has long ago migrated to webmail. Business is over half using MS products, which doesn't integrate well (if at all) with Thunderbird.

As much as I thought Thunderbird was better than Evolution, I think this makes sense for Mozilla.

I myself haven't used anything but webmail for 2 years, and for another 3 or 4, I was only on-and-off on a client (which was indeed Thunderbird).
                  Wow, thanks for the quick response! I don't really blame people for using Web mail. Gmail's newest UI upgrade is amazing.

Comment

I don't think I'll ever use webmail. Not until I'm provided a way to backup my email onto hard drive and restore whenever I want.

Comment

Working...
                    X