Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Still Aims For Wayland System Compositor

Hybrid View

Default Ubuntu Still Aims For Wayland System Compositor

Phoronix: Ubuntu Still Aims For Wayland System Compositor

While there's still more than one month until the Ubuntu 12.10 feature freeze, Canonical/Ubuntu developers continue to work towards their concept of having Wayland serve as a system compositor for this next Ubuntu Linux release due out in October, but will they make it?..

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEzNDY

Of course 12.10 is too late. Hopefully they will have something working by the time of 13.04.

Default Yet MORE unproven elements, Canonical?

I get the sinking feeling that this is going to be PulseAudio all over again.

I doubt they will be able to deliver something like that for 12.10. 13.04 maybe 13.10 more like it.

What i am most curious about is how they will manage to pull the whole seamless boot thing.

I have little confidence in Canonical's ability to deliver. With Unity I went from a smooth desktop to a cluster-f (and I don't mean the actual look and feel, I mean tearing, performance problems, graphics corruptions, crashes, shit-that-just-plain-don't-work, etc.). I can't wait to see what we're going to get when they throw this XWayland into the mix.

Because if there's one thing we need, it's one more layer of disaster that every app has to wade through.

Here's how their seamless boot works in 12.04.

After bios, black screen for 5s.
    Plymouth splash shows itself for 0.7s.
    LightDM login screen.

I'm no UI designer, but something about that black/plymouth time ratio seems off

people miss the fundamental problem and the root cause of the audio/video stack sucking in unix for 20 years. because unix/linux is primarily a server platform there is simply no incentive for the big names to make the a/v stack better. you think you need color calibration or anti-aliasing when you are running oracledb or apache on a cluster. games and directx are really the impetus on windows. and audio apps/final cut on the mac make apple make sure that the audio and the video are top notch. until that changes I don't see linux having graphics on par with windows.

Quote Originally Posted by garegin View Post
    people miss the fundamental problem and the root cause of the audio/video stack sucking in unix for 20 years. because unix/linux is primarily a server platform there is simply no incentive for the big names to make the a/v stack better. you think you need color calibration or anti-aliasing when you are running oracledb or apache on a cluster. games and directx are really the impetus on windows. and audio apps/final cut on the mac make apple make sure that the audio and the video are top notch. until that changes I don't see linux having graphics on par with windows.
    I take it you don't do much with the pro audio stack.. Jack blows away everything on the other platforms (ok, it also exists for mac/windows but it isn't widely deployed or supported there)

Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    Linux graphics are already superior compared to those in Windows/Mac IMHO.
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    STFU bitch. Fuck off.
    Someone pee in your cheerios? Your behavior is uncalled for, and is definitly unwanted. You should take your own advice, and not click that "Submit Reply" button until you have pulled your head out of your ass first.