Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel Winning Over NVIDIA For Linux Enthusiasts

Hybrid View

Default Intel Winning Over NVIDIA For Linux Enthusiasts

Phoronix: Intel Winning Over NVIDIA For Linux Enthusiasts

It seems that among Linux enthusiasts, Intel is gaining market-share thanks to their increasingly powerful integrated graphics backed by a fully open-source driver while NVIDIA is losing ground...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEzMzg

Its true, intel currently needs only faster hardware.

AMD could back up easily if they would target speed and expand development base by any means possible and DROP fglrx.

Bad times for nvidia.

Well nVidia will eventually open up their drivers and gain wider acceptance or fade into obscurity in the linux landscape. Ultimately it is their choice.

Intel should test the market for a discrete high performance GPU that could hold its own quite well against AMD and nvidia

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseider View Post
    Well nVidia will eventually open up their drivers and gain wider acceptance or fade into obscurity in the linux landscape. Ultimately it is their choice.
    All they need to do is support the Nouveau team with documentation along the lines of AMD. They could start by doing a review to determine what documentation that can be *legally* released then providing assistance to the Nouveau team based on that review.

In addition, more architectures can then be supported without too much fuss as the Nouveau driver can be built on multiple architectures including ARM and MIPS. This arrangement certainly won't overburden the nvidia engineers.

In the end nVidia can then earn back some respect and maybe get some GPU orders.
    Last edited by DeepDayze; 07-06-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    AMD could back up easily if they would target speed and expand development base by any means possible and DROP fglrx.
    I'd really like to see that happen.

What do you think? Will the open source AMD driver catch up before Intel's graphics devices become comparably fast?

I think the dynamics of the general popularity is somewhat interesting as it is a mix of interacting factors.
    The below might hold not only for hardware but for things like distributions as well.

When chosing a product or project,
    Some chose from a technical point, what company has the 'best' product in benchmarks and such.
    Some chose from a meritocracy point, what company contributes the most to the projects they care about.
    Some chose from an image point, what company seem to be generally alright.
    Some chose from a recommendation point, what company friends and coworkers recommend.
    ... and there are sure to be other viewpoints that I have missed...

So what is interesting is how the groups effect each other and if this discovered change in the second group will have an effect on the total popularity in the long run.

I guess some of it depends on if we are willing to speak up and if others are willing to listen...

Awesome chart. Four shades of blue and two shades of red. Hang on; let me get my laptop with the Pantone color sensor to detect the subtle variances that my eyes can't distinguish.

Quote Originally Posted by allquixotic View Post
    Awesome chart. Four shades of blue and two shades of red. Hang on; let me get my laptop with the Pantone color sensor to detect the subtle variances that my eyes can't distinguish.
    I'm with you. While this is a very frequent issue in most technical sites, Phoronix is probably the worst offender.

Michael, seriously, there are many different colors. Make them easily distinguishable. It's not that difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by allquixotic View Post
    I second that too!

On mobile, your choices are generally Intel, or Intel + nVidia with Optimus. Since Optimus is an unworkable piece of crap on Linux, your only sane choice is to go Intel, even though they fail comparatively on performance.