Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCC: Portable C Compiler Isn't Quick To Advance

Phoronix: PCC: Portable C Compiler Isn't Quick To Advance

The Portable C Compiler 1.0 was released in April of 2011, but since then there hasn't been many updates out of this open-source compiler that was originally spawned in the late 1970's...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think waiting for C++ support is missing the point. PCC is a C compiler.

Actually I am impressed of its performance considering that its competitors are backed by such a huge body of developers. PCC can already build Open- and FreeBSD so it is definitely capable. If only someone could crack this challenge

things could get interesting

Comment

If memory serves, there were two main reasons for the interest in resurrecting PCC:

- A general interest in heirloom code, whether because of simple nostalgia or because such code is believed to be simpler and thus more minimalist. As far as I know, PCC is satisfying this interest quite well enough already.

- The BSD projects' distaste for GPLv3 had them looking for alternatives to GCC. PCC was briefly considered, but eventually lost out to Clang/LLVM because that project was much further along in meeting the needs of most current software.

Comment

I wrote a patch a month or two ago to enable PCC to build with Clang, but I forgot to upstream it. I will send that upstream today. Thanks for the reminder.

Comment

Originally posted by staalmannen View Post
          Actually I am impressed of its performance considering that its competitors are backed by such a huge body of developers.
          Yes I was also surprised, particularly seeing it beating Clang/LLVM. However there were no compiler options listed here which means it could be no optimizations set at all, that and this being only one test (and a synthetic benchmark at that) makes it rather impossible to draw any conclusions from this.

Comment

Working...
          X