Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Devs Begin Looking At Windows 8 Multi-Touch

Phoronix: Linux Devs Begin Looking At Windows 8 Multi-Touch

Linux developers have begun exploring the changes Microsoft has made to their HID (Human Interface Device) protocol for Windows 8 that will affect how new Windows-focused multi-touch devices function...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Multitouch has been around for some time on Linux, but not using the Windows protocol. Here are some random quotes:

2009 Apr 20

A few weeks ago, Denis blogged about some thoughts he had on how gesture recognition could work in Qt. One of the things he mentioned, and that was also brought up in the comments, was support for multi-point touch gestures. As a MacBook Pro owner, I already use these gestures every single day. Needless to say, he got my attention. I would certainly like to see multi-point touch events and gestures in Qt so that I can start using them myself. The only question is? how do we do it? Before answering that question, I think we need to look at 2 other important questions. The answers to these will affect how we design the API for adding touch support to Qt.
    2009 Dec 01
    Using Multi-Touch and Gestures with Qt - Download as a PDF or view online for free

With the introduction of multi-touch and gesture support coming in Qt, application developers now have the possibility of introducing new types of input and interaction to their applications.
    2010 Aug 16

Multitouch is just as useful on a desktop as it is on a phone or tablet, so I?m delighted that the first cut of Canonical?s UTouch framework has landed in Maverick and will be there for its release on 10.10.10. You?ll need 4-finger touch or better to get the most out of it, and we?re currently targeting the Dell XT2 as a development environment so the lucky folks with that machine will get the best results today.
    2010 Oct 05

We here in Qt development are pretty excited about the Qt 4.7.0 release. In particular, some of us have been focusing our enthusiasm on the Qt Quick framework. Gestures are a natural fit for the easy UI development the QML language enables. Currently however, there isn?t any gesture functionality exposed in the core declarative library. A custom class can both grab gestures, and expose a QML interface, but this raises the bar for use significantly.
    2010 Oct 16

It's been 11 days since the Qt announcement of new gesture support, and I wanted to blog about it right away... but alas, now will have to do. The folks at Qt have been working on multi-touch support for a while now. They blogged about gestures, multi-touch, Mac support, Windows support, and then at UDS in Brussels (May 2010), they shared their 4.8 plans for multi-touch with the Ubuntu community. Until recently, there has been no MT stack for Linux.
    2011 Dec 19

I?ve wrote a multi-touch device driver, which created /dev/input/event4 multi-touch event. and it?s been tested by mtdev, but when I use QT touch example ?fingerpaint? to test multi-touch, it seems QT cannot recognize multi-touch events produced by /dev/input/event4.
    2012 Jan 27

qt Arrow_right cspiels-qt-multitouch replaces the nokia specific multi-touch solution by a kernel MT input event processing loop. QApplication reads the MT input events from the specific input devices (e.g. /dev/input/eventX) and generates QTouchEvent::TouchPoint objects which are sent as QTouchEvent through the already working method QApplicationPrivate::translateRawTouchEvent. For this solution you do not need any X.org patches, because it connects Qt directly to the kernel. The kernel already supports MT input events.
    etc.

Comment

I also didn't know Windows 8 made devices.

I understand what was meant though I suppose, but it sounded nasty nevertheless. Windows 8 compatible hardware would have sounded slightly better. I am however a little surprised that multi-touch isn't something that's defined in the HID spec or the like.

Comment

Is it wise to waste time on Microsoft products. Microsoft hasn't even got a significant place in the mobile market. Everyone currently looks to Apple for innovation and style.

I don't see Metro making any headway. Most desktop users will enable classic mode if they are landed with Win8, and the tablet market with Metro is not even something to weigh in on.

Best to design our own philosophies and concepts, or look toward the current greats.

I understand that the patch is to enable the likes of KDE or other linux softwre that is layed into Win32/64 to be compatibile.
        Last edited by e8hffff; 04 July 2012, 04:50 AM.

Comment

What do people do, who don't like to use their fingers on the screen?

Comment

Ok, may I say: read the patch or GTFO.

This patch delivers NO new inventions, NO new functions, NO new MS-evilness, no nothing of that kind.
            The only thing the patch delivers is what the a device expects the kernel to do when it sends it a specific OP-code, and the documentation around this.

So in short:
            It is a patch that adds 8 lines of changes that adds support for more devices to use existing code.

Maybe Android/iOS/the Xorg-stack already supports all this functions. It does not matter. The operating systems needs something that thells the computer that "when device X sends you OP-code Y it wants you to do Z".
            What Microsoft did here was telling hardware-developers that "if you have your device telling windows it supports said version of this HID-protocol, it could use the following OP-codes to function with the generic Microsoft driver so you do not need to make your own drivers for all eternity. And what this announcement told you was that now if a device tells Linux it supports said HID-protocol even Linux understands these new OP-codes without device-specific wrappers/drivers.

Comment

Windows 8 Hardware Standards

The article realllllly could use some wordsmithing to specify that this is about hardware protocols and standard interoperation. As it is worded, it (especially the title) will have all the clueless thinking that Linux is copying Windows 8 features.

Comment

While it may be good to study how Win8 handles multitouch but should we ever copy M$? If done right multitouch should work quite as well as or even better than Win8 or MacOSX/iOS. The X server or Wayland/Weston should be optimized to work with touch enabled devices that are found on tablets and smartphones (as well as a few all-in-one desktops. Then Linux will be a real strong contender in the tablet space

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                  While it may be good to study how Win8 handles multitouch but should we ever copy M$? If done right multitouch should work quite as well as or even better than Win8 or MacOSX/iOS. The X server or Wayland/Weston should be optimized to work with touch enabled devices that are found on tablets and smartphones (as well as a few all-in-one desktops. Then Linux will be a real strong contender in the tablet space
                  Read thread before posting. Especially the post precisely above yours.

Comment

Working...
                  X