The State Of Gentoo FreeBSD: Gentoo Sans Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by garegin View Post
    this reminds me of the wine developers spending time on dragonflybsd support instead of actually making wine be able to run better. if open source developers made shoes they would think about different blinking lights instead of making them comfortable.
    Porting programs tend to reveal obscure bugs, and force more robust engineering decisions to be made. Even it you never touch a device running dragonflyBSD, you may still benefit from the work.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
      i'm sorry, but do you actually think that gentoo needs more a mutant version of freebsd rather than fixing bugs in gentoo?
      Do you think you know what Gentoo needs?

Comment

Originally posted by archibald View Post
        Do you actually think that anybody has the right to tell these developers what they should do? (particularly as their hobby)
        ^this

Gentoo and Sabayon (IMHO) are far more stable than ARCH, installable/documented than the likes of Slackware, generally kludged together than Ubuntu+derivatives, wider range of Software than OpenSUSE, etc. I think I may have fallen in love with portage!! Gentoo and FreeBSD naturally align together as they have a similar system for detecting and maintaining packages and their dependencies...

I'll being installing Gentoo on my server next... Nuking and paving Ubuntu Server 12.04 - anyone for Plymouth boot scripts (on a Server??) and hangs at shutdown, etc., etc. = fail

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by bobwya View Post
          ^this

Gentoo and Sabayon (IMHO) are far more stable than ARCH, installable/documented than the likes of Slackware, generally kludged together than Ubuntu+derivatives, wider range of Software than OpenSUSE, etc. I think I may have fallen in love with portage!! Gentoo and FreeBSD naturally align together as they have a similar system for detecting and maintaining packages and their dependencies...

I'll being installing Gentoo on my server next... Nuking and paving Ubuntu Server 12.04 - anyone for Plymouth boot scripts (on a Server??) and hangs at shutdown, etc., etc. = fail

Bob
          I am thinking about the same, my home server has currently FreeBSD 8.2 (for ~2 years) because of ZFS, on the other hand FreeBSD itself never let me down so far either... (except of in the beginning with one controller but that is fixed now).

freebsd-pf is in portage... named and dhcp should be there anyway. Use refined search on http://znurt.org/arch for 'amd64-fbsd' keywords.

Comment

Working...
          X