Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Banning Linux Users For Using Linux...Really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At least they admit Linux is advantage over windows

A third party program is any file or program that is used in addition to the game to gain an unfair advantage
    Well, at least even Blizzard admits Linux is advantage over windows, buahahaha . Though I don't see how it's "unfair" granted everyone could download it for free.

Comment

Originally posted by psycho_driver View Post
      http://www.pathofexile.com/

Diablo III was a fail on every level.
      I don't see anything about a Linux client. Did I miss it?

Comment

Originally posted by 0xBADCODE View Post
        Well, at least even Blizzard admits Linux is advantage over windows, buahahaha . Though I don't see how it's "unfair" granted everyone could download it for free.
        Well joking aside, this is a touchy subject for the people that paid 60 (!) bucks for the game! I've read numerous forum posts that many people could not get a refund. If that happened to me I'd be sooo pissed.

Comment

Linux is not the issue...

This blue post should quell any doubts about players getting banned running Diablo III on Linux, or World of Warcraft even:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/top...861022?page=21

Comment

Well, here's the thing. Besides playing single player exclusively, I sometimes enjoy giving myself "unfair advantages" (e.g. a ton of money, the occasional elusive item). Therefore, whoever thinks I should play a game entirely the way they want it, will get $0 of my money.

Comment

Originally posted by latebeat View Post
              Well joking aside, this is a touchy subject for the people that paid 60 (!) bucks for the game! I've read numerous forum posts that many people could not get a refund. If that happened to me I'd be sooo pissed.
              Hopefully this will learn people to:
              1) Think if they really want to pay 60 bucks to company with a shitty customer service. Customer is always right? Wrong! "Pay $60 and then GTFO, dear customer. We don't even give you hint what's wrong!". Great customer care for your $60, eh? Even regardless of OSes and whatever, I think I deserve better handling for my $60. That's why Blizzard will never have my $60.
              2) Pay to those who declares native Linux support. No, seriously, the best way to vote is to pay some bucks to those on your side. Not to those who would ban you, refuse refund and don't even give hint what's wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Larian View Post
                I don't see anything about a Linux client. Did I miss it?
                If you look around on the forum (http://www.pathofexile.com/forum) you'll find very detailed instructions for running the game in wine. It runs pretty well for me.

That game really is way closer to what D3 should have actually turned out like than the 'real' D3. It will be free to play (supported by non p2w micro transactions) in a couple of months. Right now it's $10 for beta access, and well worth it. I had about 350 hours of playtime on my Templar before the last legacy migration. I just started a new Maurader and I'm enjoying playing through the game again from level 1 with no twink items.
                Last edited by psycho_driver; 04 November 2012, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by psycho_driver View Post
                  If you look around on the forum (http://www.pathofexile.com/forum) you'll find very detailed instructions for running the game in wine. It runs pretty well for me.
                  But it's way better when games provide native linux client. Like Ryzom, Xonotic/Nexuiz, Vendetta Online, etc. So you don't have to install weird piece of software, 32-bit libs (in case of 64-bit OS) and so on. Wine is not a proper support of Linux platform. Proper support is to make native Linux client which does not requires bugged stuff like wine.

Comment

But it's way better when games provide native linux client. Like Ryzom, Xonotic/Nexuiz, Vendetta Online, etc. So you don't have to install weird piece of software, 32-bit libs (in case of 64-bit OS) and so on. Wine is not a proper support of Linux platform. Proper support is to make native Linux client which does not requires bugged stuff like wine.
                    I'd contend that wine is one of the most successful open source projects in history.

Why are we arguing about a game needing to be run under wine in a thread about a different game that has to be run under wine?

There's still a very real possibility that Grinding Gear Games will look at a linux port at some point down the road, as well.

Comment

One step at a time. Show developers that money spent for linux development is money well spent and maybe they'll spend more by providing truly native clients. Though, with all shifty APIs and everything, Wine may the the only sensible target for a while.

Comment

Working...
                      X