Unvanquished: A Very Promising Open-Source Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    Wake me up when Linux devs stop taking the "multiplayer" shortcut and actually start coding some AI into the games.
    You should check out the bots branch that we have on github or connect to US1. The bots that we currently have are very much a work in progress but are still pretty fun to play against.

Originally posted by squirtsoda View Post
    Now I know I may get flamed for this but....a bit of the reason most ppl are pissed at so many fps games is because they all follow the same quake and UT baked gameplay. No ironsights, jump around, etc. Now with tremulous, it has a really nice feature which is base building and not just lone wolf hopping around, its why i like the gameplay more than most. But I would like it VERY much if there was idk, ironsights or something on some of the guns. It just made me feel so dissapointed that I couldnt use those cool red dot sights on the weps u currently have retextured. Thats one of the biggest ones for me really. It would also be nice if we could see the alien madables while they are running or fighting. Otherwise, I like the gameplay, and I think the way you have redone the animations and textures thus so far is AMAZING, continue using that xreal based engine, man its a beauty to look at, by far, best looking open source game by far.
    There was talk about adding ironsights to some of the guns but it was eventually decided against as it doesn't fit the gameplay very well. Adding alien mandibles/claws to the players screen is a requested feature. No ones currently working on it but I'll add it to the issue tracker.

Comment

Originally posted by danmal View Post
      You should check out the bots branch that we have on github or connect to US1. The bots that we currently have are very much a work in progress but are still pretty fun to play against.
      Aha! That's more like it. Hopefully, it's proper AI, not just bots programmed to headshot you with the rocket launcher from the other side of the map (Quake2, I'm looking at you).

Comment

The video of the imrod isn't actually related to Unvanquished. It's some work one of our animators previously did before joining the project. We've also just released alpha 5 a few hours ago (mac build should be available shortly).

We're currently re-working gameplay so if you have any suggestions regarding gameplay I'd love to hear it.
        How about making it a DOTA like game with some base building/expanding elements?

Comment

The video of the imrod isn't actually related to Unvanquished. It's some work one of our animators previously did before joining the project. We've also just released alpha 5 a few hours ago (mac build should be available shortly).

We're currently re-working gameplay so if you have any suggestions regarding gameplay I'd love to hear it.
          I'll be cross posting this exact post on your forum as well in the suggestions section.

Well the only FPS title that has had me interested in years was S.T.A.L.K.E.R., which was a massive open world had lots of Diablo like RPG qualities as to how you could use and carry equipment, and had many factions you could be ailed, neutral or enemy with as well it wasn't just a "Run-N-Gun" when it came to combat, you actually had to think about how you where going to take out your opponents. There where even special one off weapons and tons of modifiers and status up and downs, nobody could bounce around like an idiot since you had stamina and food to worry about, if you ran too much or where carrying too much stuff you would become exhausted very quickly, if you got hurt you could be bleeding till you put on a bandage, you could get radiation sickness, you could be drunk etc. There where even enemies that would reverse your perspective to theirs to make it way harder to kill them.

Take the first mission as an example: Rescue some guy from a set of buildings being held by a gang of bandits, the area has little cover on the approach to the buildings from all sides, all you have is a crappy inaccurate 9mm at this point and very little ammo for either, you also have the option to take an attack team with you or sneak in alone, as well you can try and do it during the day or at night. **

Now, do you have to make your game anywhere near as elaborate? No. But the last thing we need is yet another OpenArena/Padman/Nexuiz/BloodFrontier/AlienArena/RedEclipse/UrbanTerror/Smokin'Guns/Warsow/Sauerbraten/Tremulous/AssaultCube/Xonotic... Why? Because they are all the exact same game when you get down to it. If you made the models the same on all of them would anyone be able to tell them apart?

I'd say for what you've already got, steal as much as you can get away with from the Alien series http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_%28film%29 as well as the good PC AvP games http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens_...8video_game%29 and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens_versus_Predator_2 as they are far more likely to be feasible for an OSS game dev team. In those sneaking up on your opponent is key unless you are a marine, in which case you're just meat... The games are very dark and atmospheric which helps build a sense of tension, each species has it's own specialties:

Xenomorphs only use their teeth, claws and tails to kill, but they can climb any surface, can see in the dark, leap very long distances, run very fast and kill with a single bite. They also have the ability to grow and evolve over time, you can start as a tiny "Face Hugger" and from this find a host to latch on to, turn into a normal alien, dog alien, protarian etc, even evolve into an alien queen that can lay eggs that release more face huggers!

The Yautja have advanced weapons like a plasma caster and a dart gun that can do tons of damage, the darts can even nail body parts to the walls, they can also make themselves almost completely invisible, as well as they have several ways to see in the dark, a heat vision that sees humans, an ultraviolet that sees xenomorphs and another that sees light sources like flash lights but each of these is mutually exclusive, if you have it set to see humans via infrared they will easily stand out, but your ability to see everything else, especially xenomorphs will be compromised.

Humans, the physically weakest of the group but with the largest array of weaponry from handguns to rocket launchers and they aren't hindered by a lack of ammo for these weapons like the Yautja is, they even have guns like the smart gun that auto aims for them, you'd think they'd stand a chance?

Also, you need an idiot friendly mods and addons system much like Half-Life and Never Winter Nights had to breed and retain an actual community around the game of non programmers to build off your game.

**Personally I sneak around the base solo and hide in the garage around the back side till dawn as this makes sneaking in easier and makes the bandits easier to find then trying to locate them in the dark when they are all wearing dark colors. Again though, you can't just spray and pray either, you'll burn through what little ammo you have very fast and at this point in the game the only way you'll get more is taking what few rounds your enemies have left after you kill them, which is an incentive to take them out fast with headshots, then strip the bodies and trade their now empty guns for more ammo and healing items at the trader, because you're gonna need it if you want to get an AK and some grenades early, which only makes the next area slightly easier, since finding ammo for it to be more then just a single shot sniper rifle for you will still be a problem for a while...
          Last edited by Kivada; 02 July 2012, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            Aha! That's more like it. Hopefully, it's proper AI, not just bots programmed to headshot you with the rocket launcher from the other side of the map (Quake2, I'm looking at you).
            The bots feel pretty fair to fight against (imo) although they have a tendency to get stuck on the more complex maps. If that happens try a different map (ATCS works well).

Originally posted by crispy View Post
            How about making it a DOTA like game with some base building/expanding elements?
            Could you elaborate on your post? We already have some base building elements.

@Kivada

Those are some excellent points. I'll have to pick up Alien vs Predator and see if there are any elements that we can borrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
              But the last thing we need is yet another OpenArena/Padman/Nexuiz/BloodFrontier/AlienArena/RedEclipse/UrbanTerror/Smokin'Guns/Warsow/Sauerbraten/Tremulous/AssaultCube/Xonotic... Why? Because they are all the exact same game when you get down to it. If you made the models the same on all of them would anyone be able to tell them apart?
              Actually they really aren't the same games and don't play the same way. Are they FPS? Yes. Are SOME of them deathmatch? Yes. But, that is a VERY broad brush. All of them have different movement, weapons, and other nuances that make them quite different from one another. Most of them also have their own unique game modes aside from the standard deathmatch.

Anyway, I won't hijack this thread. This is about Unvanquished, which looks like a very worthy successor to the now dead Tremulous. There is nothing wrong with it being a "shiny" Tremulous. It's not "just another FPS", it's a continuation of a dead project, and it looks damn promising.

Comment

Originally posted by Irritant View Post
                Actually they really aren't the same games and don't play the same way. Are they FPS? Yes. Are SOME of them deathmatch? Yes. But, that is a VERY broad brush. All of them have different movement, weapons, and other nuances that make them quite different from one another. Most of them also have their own unique game modes aside from the standard deathmatch.
                Fine, then I'll hijack it, I've played all of them, so if you could elaborate on these nuances I'm missing please it would be great, not just for me but the community as a whole.

Do almost all of them have a gatling gun? Yep. Do almost all of them have a lightning gun? Yep. Do almost all of them have a rocket launcher? Yep. Do almost all of them have a throwing grenade? Yep. Do almost all of them have a launched bouncing grenade? Yep. Do almost all of them have a sniper rifle? Yep. Do almost all of them have little more then the standard DM, TDM, CtF, FFA, TFFA game modes? Yep. Yep. Do almost all of them have really bad AI? Yep. Do almost all of them have the same type of maps? Yep. Do almost all of them have a Yep. Do almost all of them allow the player to bounce like Tiggers, cause Tiggers are wonderful things? Yep...

I didn't like this overly simplistic type of game when it was a new concept and and after what 15+ years now, no matter how many times they get rehashed they aren't any better.

That said, Alien Arena would do well to make a single player mode, take cues from the game OttoMatic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5Uyx3mzYWA as well as movies like Mars Attacks http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116996/ and Plan 9 From Outer Space http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052077/ up your hoakieness and campy factor way past 11 and just ask random idiots to do the voice acting badly like these awesome scenes you should totally find a way to work into the game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntwiV_e6F9Y

In other words, if you can't for whatever reason do something good, do something so badly that it's hilariously awesome!
                Last edited by Kivada; 02 July 2012, 05:05 PM.

Comment

@Kivada, people are going to make the kinds of games they want to make. They don't owe it to you or anyone else to do otherwise. If you, and presumably others don't like it, don't play them, take that energy and make the kinds of games YOU want to play
                  Last edited by Irritant; 02 July 2012, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Where can i find the binaries for Linux or the source code?

Comment

Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X