Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Most Energy-Efficient Linux Computers

Phoronix: The Most Energy-Efficient Linux Computers

For those that missed it, the Green500 list was updated for June 2012. IBM's BlueGene/Q super-computer hardware dominates but there's a few surprises besides that...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

With only supercomputers or clusters on the list it's boring.
    There should be something like this for 1-max. 8 cores single computers.
    And all these big machines doing a good computation per watt are useless when they don't numbercrunch all the time. I guess even a minute idle of the huge ones could give me the power to compile libreoffice on my home quad core (and that takes roughly 1.5 h).
    I admit that compiling for yourself isn't the most power efficient thing to do.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

I don't believe in any of this Communist Global Warming tripe, but it is good to get efficiency, especially if it can reduce bills.

The problem with Carbon-Communism is bills will increase if the political agenda is allowed to progress.

Comment

According to the list every green top10 supercomputer has about 2100 MFLOPS. But it would be interesting to know, why there is a so huge power gap. The 8th ranked consumes twelve times more total power than the first

oh and these supercomputer really don't use very much power if compared to the LHC (Large Hadron Collider) which consumes about 170 MW! That's about as much as all the top 100 supercomputers together

But some crazy scientists and the elite thinks that this LHC is worth the power and the billons of Euros and dollars.
        Last edited by Fenrin; 30 June 2012, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
          According to the list every green top10 supercomputer has about 2100 MFLOPS. But it would be interesting to know, why there is a so huge power gap. The 8th ranked consumes twelve times more total power than the first

oh and these supercomputer really don't use very much power if compared to the LHC (Large Hadron Collider) which consumes about 170 MW! That's about as much as all the top 100 supercomputers together

But some crazy scientists and the elite thinks that this LHC is worth the power and the billons of Euros and dollars.
          Bah, basic science be dammed! Give me moar coars!

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
            That's 2100 MFLOPS PER WATT

Which makes complete sense with what Michael said - that they are all based off the same supercomputer design.

The ones that require more power simply have more cores in them, so they get more work done by using more power. Leaving overall efficiency the same in this test since it scales well.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              That's 2100 MFLOPS PER WATT
              [...]
              oh indeed

Comment

Working...
              X