Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better Radeon DRM Code Documentation Comes

Phoronix: Better Radeon DRM Code Documentation Comes

For any independent developers that have been wanting to explore ways to contribute to the open-source Radeon driver but have been intimidated by the lack of documentation within the code, the situation is beginning to improve...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

From fledging developers I still frequently here that --
    What? What's going on?

Comment

From fledging developers I still frequently here that

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
      What? What's going on?
      He means hear. Color me unsurprised to see obvious typos.

Comment

Sounds like a good idea. I would have thought that such policy should have been a standard in every project, but obviously it isn't.
        But of course it needs a bunch of self dicipline to keep to it when just quickly fixing something here or there.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Not worth to be mentioned!

What? AMD is dropping some breadcrumbs into the community and now they are supposed "supporting"? That makes me laugh! This left wing arrogant typus Torvalds unleashed his filthy mouth on nVidia (and by the way, nVidia's response to that crap was more than sufficient!), but nVidia provides something useful and useable - me as a FreeBSD user this is a great advantage. AMD deceived once the OpenSource community a couple of years ago when they "promised" with the introduction of the HD4000 series available documentation for FOSS driver to provide amongst 3D support also OpenCL. The documentation vanished as fast as it occured or was useless. This isn't only a hindering in the development of free open source video drivers (which should also be used for the GPGPU/HPC purpose), it is simply a foul game.

We have a bunch of HD48XX and HD46XX and HD47XX cards used with FreeBSD. None of them worked properly with the opensource drivers, no matter what I used. The problem was FreeBSD AND AMD-driver specific, but even after two years they weren't capable of fixing this. Since this desaster, we decided not to trust any statements of AMD and watch for facts. Since then, we (especially I) equipt/order nVidia-only hardware. That is amongst TESLA cards even nVidia consumer graphics cards.

Comment

I read the words radeon and documentation and thought wow (UVD, Power) but then i realized it was for the code .

Comment

@Eisnefaust

AMD and Red Hat focus on Linux, why did you expect them to fix bugs on freebsd? I mean, if nobody there uses fbsd nor gets paid to do so, why would they bother?

Comment

Originally posted by Eisnefaust View Post
                AMD deceived once the OpenSource community a couple of years ago when they "promised" with the introduction of the HD4000 series available documentation for FOSS driver to provide amongst 3D support also OpenCL. The documentation vanished as fast as it occured or was useless. This isn't only a hindering in the development of free open source video drivers (which should also be used for the GPGPU/HPC purpose), it is simply a foul game.
                Do you have any reference to this "promise" ? Was it a press release, or something I said here, or a comment from someone else ?

We have a bunch of HD48XX and HD46XX and HD47XX cards used with FreeBSD. None of them worked properly with the opensource drivers, no matter what I used. The problem was FreeBSD AND AMD-driver specific, but even after two years they weren't capable of fixing this. Since this desaster, we decided not to trust any statements of AMD and watch for facts. Since then, we (especially I) equipt/order nVidia-only hardware. That is amongst TESLA cards even nVidia consumer graphics cards.
                Was there ever a statement that we would fund developers to work on BSD ? What "statement of AMD" do you think we failed to honour ?
                Test signature

Comment

What? AMD is dropping some breadcrumbs into the community and now they are supposed "supporting"? That makes me laugh! This left wing arrogant typus Torvalds unleashed his filthy mouth on nVidia (and by the way, nVidia's response to that crap was more than sufficient!), but nVidia provides something useful and useable - me as a FreeBSD user this is a great advantage.
                  Oh my god, I am laughing so hard at you cussing out Torvalds here. Yeah, left wing lunatic, right.

Comment

I know this is slightly off topic...

Bridgman, I tried to send you a private messege, but your inbox is full. How can I contact you? I'm doing some market research about building Linux computers for end users as a potential business enterprise. I know you're probably busy, so I promise not to take much of your time. Thanks.

...I hope my newsfeed doesn't mention this in the title of a new Phoronix article, lol.

Comment

Working...
                    X