Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@VodkaGibson:

About the fglrx blob :

I did a 'plain' install, not generated distro-specific packages.

Multi-monitor is very flaky, again, compared to nVidia's blob. It does work, but misbehaves when I plug in a HDMI display, it needs 'enabling' with a restart of X to work ( the first time ) and so on. Again, not a deal breaker, I'm a technical user, but certainly far behind nVidia's blob.

The 12.6 proper ( not beta ) was tested on Mint x64 ( kernel 3.2 and custom-built 3.4 ), Debian x64 ( kernel 2.6.32 and custom-built 3.4 ) and Gentoo with custom-built 3.4. The default installer completes OK ( as far as output goes ) , the fglr.ko is loaded but neither the installer nor manually `amdconfig --initial` generate a correct xorg.conf file. I had to hack one 'by hand' from the previous beta 12.6, but X crashes when it tries to load fglrx and, frankly, I've given up on trying to make it work, I'm going to wait for 12.7.

In 12.6 ( release and beta ) GPU switching is done manually in CCC. You have a radio group to choose between 'maximum performance : discrete card ' and 'maximum battery : apu' ( or something to that effect ) and the change only happens after reboot. It does work, but it is disappointing overall.

As for the open-source radeon driver, I had to wait for 6.14.4, which is the first one with 'official' Trinity support. I've also tried the latest 'stable' ( 6.14.6 ) but support for my particular hardware is very poor and, the most annoying thing is that it can't shut down the discrete gpu to the effect that the laptop overheats on light video usage.

I'm going to wait for 12.7 and, when I have time, I'll try to do a clean install and test 12.6 stable with 3.4 to see exactly what happens. However, this is a far cry from nVidia's blob that 'just works' and always did.

I understand that AMD is in deep trouble and non-windows driver developers is probably very, very low in the priority list, but it still disappointing.

Comment

Basically you do all wrong that could be done wrong. Some basics:

a) if you want to install a gfx driver be sure that only 1 kernel is installed (or you really know how to trigger dkms, which i highly doubt that you know that)

b) never install without correct packageing, for ubuntu that is relatively easy with --buildpkg Ubuntu option

c) do not run the installer on debian. it will not help anyway because for wheezy/sid you have got fglrx 12-6 in the repository, but the xserver is too new. well there is a libpciaccess hack for 64 bit that makes it work, but i doubt you have got any clue how to use it. For squeeze it should work but look at a). for squeeze + ubuntu (but NOT on wheezy/sid) you can use my script. i have got a fallback when aticonfig does not work.

use -z option and reboot. for 12-6 final/beta do not use a kernel newer than 3.3. for 12-6 legacy (-v5 override to script) you can use kernel 3.4 as well. save /etc/ati/control from a version without problems.

Comment

Obviously, the user is the problem. For a moment I thought I bought an Apple product, should I hold my hand the other way around ?

nVidia's binary blob works just fine on a debian x64 with 3 custom-built kernels and I installed catalyst 12.6 beta just fine on a Mint with two kernels. 12.6 stable doesn't work, thus 12.6 is the problem.

12.6 beta works fine with 3.4 kernel ( custom-build )

And, yes, I might know what I am doing ...

Comment

Originally posted by Agross View Post
          I did a 'plain' install, not generated distro-specific packages.
          Use Kano script or follow this manual next time.
          I had to hack one 'by hand' from the previous beta 12.6, but X crashes when it tries to load fglrx and, frankly, I've given up on trying to make it work, I'm going to wait for 12.7.
          There will be no 12.7 (new release shedule in action) so you need to register proper detailed bugreports with all needed information and atigetsysteminfo.sh reports, if you want too see bugs fixed in 12.8. I strongly suggest you re-check bugs with driver installed from generated packages and don't forget to use this workaround.
          It can't handle switching between integrated gpu in the apu and the discrete gpu, you have to manually select one
          In 12.6 ( release and beta ) GPU switching is done manually in CCC. You have a radio group to choose between 'maximum performance : discrete card ' and 'maximum battery : apu' ( or something to that effect ) and the change only happens after reboot. It does work, but it is disappointing overall.
          Just for your information: nVidia proprietary driver doesn't have even this (radio button in driver control panel for manual switch) for Optimus hardware.
          I've also tried the latest 'stable' ( 6.14.6 ) but support for my particular hardware is very poor and, the most annoying thing is that it can't shut down the discrete gpu to the effect that the laptop overheats on light video usage.
          Again: you can, you need to put
          Code:
          echo "OFF" > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
          to /etc/rc.local.

However, this is a far cry from nVidia's blob that 'just works' and always did.
          As I person who have more GeForce GPU's than Radeon GPU's I want to say: nVidia properietary driver 'just works' so well, so I have no choice but move to nouveau on few laptops.

Comment

Yeah, yeah, when I have time I'll try a 'clean' install, though it is rather pointelss if I can't use custom kernels.

Well, yes nVidia's proprietary driver can't switch because I don't have a nVidia APU. The point is that I've bought an AMD platform with an APU and a GPU and I expected it to work. This is the whole point of Trinity, but it doesn't work.

I don't know about you but on desktops and notebooks, nVidia's blob just worked out of the box with custom-compiled kernels. I have greap features and performance in native apps, in Wine, in OpenCL. Clearly AMD is far behind in these matters, but I understand, since they are in a lot of financial trouble and non-Windows drivers are probably the least of their problems.

I hope the radeon free driver will pick up speed.

Comment

Well, yes nVidia's proprietary driver can't switch because I don't have a nVidia APU.
              Catalyst can do switch between Intel and Radeon GPU's too.
              The point is that I've bought an AMD platform with an APU and a GPU and I expected it to work. This is the whole point of Trinity, but it doesn't work.
              Usually for new hardware it's looking like this: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...-on-HP-Envy-15 (read whole thread before continue). So if you have problems - you need to deal with tech. support or bugtracker, but you hope someone else already get same problem, send report, and AMD already fix it for next driver release. It might have happened, or might not happened. If you need a result, do not rely on luck.
              And about not working Acer driver - you need to ask Acer about that, not AMD. Acer do testing of your laptop before ship hardware, not AMD.
              I don't know about you but on desktops and notebooks, nVidia's blob just worked out of the box with custom-compiled kernels.
              nvnews is down, but if read Linux subforum of nvnews, you should know - nVidia driver not always (far, far away from "always") "just worked out of the box with custom-compiled kernels". Maybe it work for you, but not for everyone.

Comment

Working...
              X