MIPS Loongson 3A Benchmarks On Debian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TobiSGD View Post
    Of course you don't get 100% speed. would be nice to have some numbers how fast a program that would be written for the internal architecture of an AMD or Intel CPU is in comparison to the emulated x86 code.
    The only purpose for an AMD or Intel CPU is to emulate x86 code because of this they optimize it to get ~100% speed. Emulating something does not mean slower in fact they emulate the x86 code just because its FASTER than a native core.

If it would be around the same numbers this would somewhat negate your argumentation.
    Fact is they get more than 100% speed compared to a native CISC core.
    And they don't waste resources in emulating a MIPS CPU.
    If you read Wikipedia and CPU history carefully they only start to emulate CISC because its faster if the only purpose of a chip is to emulate CISC.

in other words my argumentation is unbeatable.

By the way, PCI passthrough
    You are wrong about this "PCI passthrough" point because its a chipset feature and Loongson use 5 years outdated amd chip-set and no the Loongson chip-sets do not support PCI passthrough.
    Maybe they support it in 5 years with never amd chip-set from AMD.
    First amd chipset who support this is: 890 and Loongson use 7xx based AMD chip-set.

is experimental at this time and i doubt that it will take long that this works reliable. If it works you can run native OpenGL in the VM.
    Just to be sure Loongson uses outdated AMD chip-set 7xx class without any support for "PCI passthrough" it is just impossible to get OpenGL support in the VM only the WINE-lib way of virtual-box is possible but QEMU don't support wine libs.

I am sure that nobody will do this.
    That's funny if i say words like: this is linux only hardware then I'm wrong but you are also sure no one will buy this hardware for windows 7. Logic is there any logic ?

But anyways, I would think about such a CPU for my next file-server or maybe a netbook or notebook, but I am a gamer, so it has to be x86 on my main rig.
    There are 2 possible ways for gamers and a 3. way in the future.
    1. way is wine with qemu x86 emulation then the openGL code is native
    2. way is the virtual-box way you can use the wine direct3D libs passthrough to get native openGL but right now virtual-box do not support the x86 acceleration of the loongson.
    3. way only possible for the future with newer chipset is the "PCI passthrough" way.

There are already Loongson 2 based net-books you can buy but only single-core and very slow because of no 3D acceleration graphic card. I don't think you will buy something like this.

The Loongson 3A Lemote 8133 is a nice notebook quat core but with outdated amd-hd3200 graphic chip. But the best part is there is a UMTS/3G version with sim card reader.

Right now the biggest server system they over is a dual-socket Loongson 3A system with 8 cores and maximum 16gb ram. but the 3A is a 15 watt low power GPU means this system do not have big performance but they will sell the same mainboard with the 3B a ~50 watt CPU.

In 2013 there will be a 16 core CPU build on a 28nm process. this 16 core CPU on a dual socket system or quat socket system will be combative on the server market.
    Last edited by maldorordiscord; 05 July 2012, 04:46 PM.

Comment

FYI... mador there is qaridarium who is a banned user. Its pretty obvious I mean seriously who says quat core X.x.

Comment

@cb88

A typing mistake is not a prove for a crime. In other words not a Impressive detective work.
        Anyway there are examples for writing this word quad was does mean the number 4 with the letter t in english.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaternion
        Or do you now chance the letter t into d for the word Quaternion ? Quadernion ? The meaning is the same it means the number 4 and ending ernion only means number system.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quat
        There are many more examples.
        Quaternary for example or do you change it to Quadernary ?
        Quad core and quat core do have the same meaning and anyone can understand it without problems.
        The difference is only important for grammar and spelling nazis to do necrophilia on the language.

Comment

Originally posted by maldorordiscord View Post
          That's funny if i say words like: this is linux only hardware then I'm wrong but you are also sure no one will buy this hardware for windows 7. Logic is there any logic ?
          You should read more carefully. Implementing emulation acceleration for x86 code means that the designers of that chip are pretty sure that people want to run x86 code on it, otherwise this would be useless effort. x86 code includes Windows. So this is basically not Linux only hardware. The second statement, and you have said the same, was not that nobody will buy this hardware for Windows 7, but that nobody will buy this hardware for only Windows 7. The world is not black and white, you can use Linux and Windows on those CPUs, regardless if Windows will be slower due to emulation.

There are 2 possible ways for gamers and a 3. way in the future.
          1. way is wine with qemu x86 emulation then the openGL code is native
          2. way is the virtual-box way you can use the wine direct3D libs passthrough to get native openGL but right now virtual-box do not support the x86 acceleration of the loongson.
          3. way only possible for the future with newer chipset is the "PCI passthrough" way.
          As you have stated, the x86 emulation is only 70% as fast as the native code. These CPUs are currently targeted for running at 1 GHz clockspeed. My current favorite Skyrim (very CPU hungry game when you play in high quality) would choke to death on this CPU, regardless if you get native OpenGL or not. Not an option.

Originally posted by cb88
          FYI... mador there is qaridarium who is a banned user.
          I know, this was pointed out already earlier in this thread and has been already reported to the forum mods, but moderation on this forum is nothing more that a really bad joke, so I decided to do the same as the moderators: I don't care.

Quad core and quat core do have the same meaning and anyone can understand it without problems.
          Sorry, but no. Quad is a legitimate English word, translated to German it is "vierfach". It is derived from the English word quadruple (which by the way will also not magically be changed to "quatruple" just because you found the word quaternion).Now try to find the word quat in an English dictionary.
          If you want call me grammar Nazi, I don't care. IMHO, in a discussion on an English speaking forum a somewhat well formulated and correctly written English shows respect to the other people in the discussion. And it isn't that hard to use a spellchecker, I would think.

Comment

You should read more carefully. Implementing emulation acceleration for x86 code means that the designers of that chip are pretty sure that people want to run x86 code on it, otherwise this would be useless effort. x86 code includes Windows. So this is basically not Linux only hardware. The second statement, and you have said the same, was not that nobody will buy this hardware for Windows 7, but that nobody will buy this hardware for only Windows 7. The world is not black and white, you can use Linux and Windows on those CPUs, regardless if Windows will be slower due to emulation.
            And so one and so one no windows customer will buy such a system only Linux people will buy it.
            And some server customers will host virtual engines for x86 customers to sell standard server VMs with a very low power consuming ratio.

As you have stated, the x86 emulation is only 70% as fast as the native code. These CPUs are currently targeted for running at 1 GHz clockspeed. My current favorite Skyrim (very CPU hungry game when you play in high quality) would choke to death on this CPU, regardless if you get native OpenGL or not. Not an option.
            clock speed say nothing about "Speed" the 28nm 16core do have a 512bit integer-SIMD acceleration unit this means it can easily beat any other CPU right now on the market.
            Integer-simd unit means stuff like FMA4,FMA3,XOP,CVT16,AVX(the integer part) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FMA_instruction_set
            The FMA4 from amd and AVX is only 256bit and the 28nm 16core Loongson is 512 bit integer and 2 pieces of 512bit Vector SIMD in the x86 world the name is SSE-64bit,3dnow-32bit,AVX-256bit and so one.
            In other words the Loongson really is a high performance CPU... a classic one without high-clock-fake

Sorry, but no. Quad is a legitimate English word, translated to German it is "vierfach". It is derived from the English word quadruple (which by the way will also not magically be changed to "quatruple" just because you found the word quaternion).Now try to find the word quat in an English dictionary.
            If you want call me grammar Nazi, I don't care. IMHO, in a discussion on an English speaking forum a somewhat well formulated and correctly written English shows respect to the other people in the discussion. And it isn't that hard to use a spellchecker, I would think.
            Dude I'm so sorry for you I'm right and you can not do anything about it you want a English dictionary?
            I already show you a English Wikipedia page but I also can show you a English dictionary no problem but you are still wrong: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/quat
            wiktionary :quat -->"Etymology: Common Germanic, whence also Old English "
            So its not a problem to find this word in an English dictionary.
            Its old English and means "4 of 4" translated to German its "volle vier/ganze vier teile".

Comment

clock speed say nothing about "Speed" the 28nm 16core do have a 512bit integer-SIMD acceleration unit this means it can easily beat any other CPU right now on the market.
              Integer-simd unit means stuff like FMA4,FMA3,XOP,CVT16,AVX(the integer part) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FMA_instruction_set
              The FMA4 from amd and AVX is only 256bit and the 28nm 16core Loongson is 512 bit integer and 2 pieces of 512bit Vector SIMD in the x86 world the name is SSE-64bit,3dnow-32bit,AVX-256bit and so one.
              In other words the Loongson really is a high performance CPU... a classic one without high-clock-fake
              Maybe. Show me one game that uses the 512bit SIMD unit or 16 cores. As I said, may be a good choice for a server, but not for running x86 games on it.

Dude I'm so sorry for you I'm right and you can not do anything about it you want a English dictionary?
              I already show you a English Wikipedia page but I also can show you a English dictionary no problem but you are still wrong: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/quat
              wiktionary :quat -->"Etymology: Common Germanic, whence also Old English "
              I had to laugh about that. You really should learn to read properly.
              The entry in the Wiktionary has exactly three definitions for the word quat, two English, one Old High German.
              First the English ones, since English is the topic here :
              1. quat as a noun meaning pustule, I doubt that you are referring to a pustule-core CPU, although I think that would look funny.
              2. quat as a verb, meaning to satiate, also no reference to the number 4
              Now comes the funny part, the Old High German part you are referring to, the non-English part, and a masterpiece of changing meanings with wrong quoting:
              Common Germanic, whence also Old English cwēad
              The word you "lost" emphasized by me. In this part quat is a German word, where the English counterpart is cwēad.
              Also nice that you left out the definitions for that German word:
              1. mud
              2. dirt
              Yeah, I can see how this is related to the number four.

Oh, before I forget this:
              Its old English and means "4 of 4" translated to German its "volle vier/ganze vier teile".
              This is not mentioned at all in the linked entry. You also give no other link to this information, I think because it is made up and you are back to Qaridarium style, outright lying when proven to be wrong.

Comment

TobiSGD "I had to laugh about that. You really should learn to read properly.
                The entry in the Wiktionary has exactly three definitions for the word quat, two English, one Old High German.[...]I think because it is made up and you are back to Qaridarium style, outright lying when proven to be wrong."

Nice try but i can disprove your claims.
                Your problem is you do have zero flexibility and its not a German word at all its a Latin word.
                The oldest meaning of the word i mean written with "T" and not d is quater http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/quater
                and the word quattro also writen with t and not d http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/quattro
                and the word quarterly also writen with t and not d http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/quarterly
                also the word quattuor also writen with t and not d http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/quattuor
                and the short version of -quattuor anni tempora- is Quatember and the more shorter version of Quatember is Quat http://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/Quat.
                also the short version of quater is quat and not only the short version its the BASIC wort and you can make many other words with this basic word quat what means 4 examples:
                in quattro e quattr'otto
                quarto
                quaterna
                quaternario
                quattordici
                quattrino
                quattrocchi
                quattrocentesco
                quattrocentesimo
                quattrocentino
                quattrocentista
                quattrocentistico
                quattrocento, Quattrocento
                quattroesettanta
                quattroeventi
                quattrofoglie
                quattromila
                quattro per quattro
                quattroporte
                quattroruote
                as you can see quat is the basic word for "4" and with different endings it gets different meanings of the number 4.
                the number4 is for example quattuor means quat=4 and the ending tuor means "number" means 4 as a number.
                also this latin wort is the source of the english word and written with T is only the oldest version of this word.
                Now will you apologize for your insults? or you will deny the connection to the Latin as the basic source for the English language?
                You just have a lag for a basic understanding of languages and history of languages.

TobiSGD : "Maybe. Show me one game that uses the 512bit SIMD unit or 16 cores. As I said, may be a good choice for a server, but not for running x86 games on it."

You can handle 8 SSE (vector) 64bit instructions in 1 single 512bit vector simd instruction.
                also multi-core is not a problem physX3.0/bulledphysic based games can use a unlimited number of cores also openGL4.0+ and directX11 based games can handle many cores to push graphic performance.
                Last edited by maldorordiscord; 05 July 2012, 11:01 PM.

Comment

TobiSGD "I had to laugh about that. You really should learn to read properly.
                  The entry in the Wiktionary has exactly three definitions for the word quat, two English, one Old High German.[...]I think because it is made up and you are back to Qaridarium style, outright lying when proven to be wrong."

Nice try but i can disprove your claims.

Now will you apologize for your insults? or you will deny the connection to the Latin as the basic source for the English language?
                  You just have a lag for a basic understanding of languages and history of languages.
                  There is no word "quat" in the English language related to the number four, regardless which languages have influenced the English language. You can't just take other languages as prove for a non-existent word, flexibility is not the same as imagining something that doesn't exist.
                  Regarding my understanding of languages and their history, I had 5 years English, 4 years Latin and one year French in school, I think that is enough to have more than a basic understanding. By the way, the word you mean is lack, not lag. All the time you have used to find prove for a non-existent word would be better spend on installing a spellchecker including English dictionary.

You can handle 8 SSE (vector) 64bit instructions in 1 single 512bit vector simd instruction.
                  That sounds interesting, do you have a link to that information, so that I can learn more on this?

Comment

There is no word "quat" in the English language related to the number four, regardless which languages have influenced the English language. You can't just take other languages as prove for a non-existent word, flexibility is not the same as imagining something that doesn't exist.
                    Regarding my understanding of languages and their history, I had 5 years English, 4 years Latin and one year French in school, I think that is enough to have more than a basic understanding. By the way, the word you mean is lack, not lag. All the time you have used to find prove for a non-existent word would be better spend on installing a spellchecker including English dictionary.
                    my evidence was not static execution it was a flexible one.
                    examples:
                    quat-er is a english word?
                    quarter goes in the same direction
                    quattro as a word is also used in the english language
                    same for quattuor
                    also the word quat is in use in modern english to:
                    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=quat
                    " QUAT
                    Slang for Quarter usually used in drug circles.
                    'Yo, you got a quat fo' tree five?'
                    Translation: "Pardon me, but do you still have a Quarter of (name your favorite drug here) for three hundred and fifty dollars?""
                    and there are more examples for the use of "quat" in meaning of 4 example:
                    "a quaternary compound" or in german: "aus vier Teilen bestehend"
                    quaternary=is built on 4 pieces
                    source for this example: http://www.dicts.info/define.php?word=quat
                    another example in the same meaning: "the quaternary period of geologic time extends from the end of the tertiary period to the present"
                    another example for the meaning of four is : "quaternate leaves"
                    Source: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Quaternate "quaternate - consisting of or especially arranged in sets of four"
                    another example is "Quaternary ammonium cations, also known as quats" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaternary_ammonium_cation
                    this prove qarts is the short version of Quaternary and the german version of this word is: "aus vier Teilen bestehend" and if you translate this to english word by word: "consisting of four parts"

this means There is a word "quat" in the English language related to the number four!

That sounds interesting, do you have a link to that information, so that I can learn more on this?
                    first integer SIMD was MMX (integer-32bit): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMX_%28instruction_set%29
                    one of the first floating-point SIMD was 3dnow(floating point 32bit): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3DNow!
                    MMX+3Dnow in 64bit is called SSE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_SIMD_Extensions
                    another vector SIMD standard is AltiVec http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltiVec
                    SSE4 is 128 bit vector then and AVX is 256bit vector: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVX
                    and the Integer extensions of the AVX generation is called FMA http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/FMA_x86

comparison to Loongson: Loongson 3A only do have 64bit-128bit vector Loongson 3B do have 256bit Vector and 256bit integer SIMD and the Longson 3C do have 2pices of 512bit vector SIMD per core and 1 piece of 512bit integer SIMD.

In my knowledge the Loongson's SIMD units try to compatible with the ARM one:
                    Loongson use the Vector unit from ARM : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_arc...IMD_.28NEON.29
                    on the level: ARMv8 64-bit VFP and advanced SIMD (NEON) standard
                    Last edited by maldorordiscord; 06 July 2012, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Sigh

Q is Q'ing it up again, I see.

Or is it now M M'ing it up?

Comment

Working...
                      X