No announcement yet.

MIPS Loongson 3A Benchmarks On Debian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you think it is so simple to attack a system with microcode try it yourself. You find microsims which allow you to create your own opcodes. Thats what you do for training when you study computer science. asm is easy compared to that when you want to do some complex things. It is very unlikely that you want to write real attack code when you dont want that the system just crashes. you could maybe override a random value generater with a fixed value (only newer cpus can do that) to get a fixed seed for a cypher (if it would be the one and only source of it). even if you could change opcodes, what would you change? Thats what is done with those updates, not more, not less. I do not feel a security risk when i can not look at the code what those do. The cpu itself is a blackbox as well, you have to assue that it works as expected.

This has got really nothing to do with opensource. If you create your own cpu then you have to worry about it maybe, but thats something a casual user does not do. I am pretty sure you are not clever enough to develop your own processor design...

Comment

@kano

Right now I only know the low-level stuff like switching algebra,logic gate and relay circuits and i understand this part perfectly.
      It sounds logic that your attack vector is always the way you know.
      Why learning assembler language to attack a system if you know the low level part already and it's possible to attack a system on this level?
      And you don't have to do something useful to break a system and a broken system is a successful attack.
      Sure in your point of view this isn't a successful attack but the ability to turn a computer system into a brick is powerful as a weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by TobiSGD View Post
        You are right, this is off-topic. So I took the short route and reported you for obviously being Qaridarium and therefor circumventing their decisions, just in case they didn't notice your re-appearance. Let's just wait how they decide and not further derail this thread. If you are getting banned the next time please be so kind to mail me your next pseudonym, so that I can put you to my ignore list as soon as you appear on the forum.
        Why not you say so from the beginning ? Instead of this you waste our time with spamming your off-tropic FUD and ruin the thread.

Comment

@maldorordiscord

a crashing system is no real attack. you can not get usefull data out of it. first of all those updates are non permament - thats why the bios is usually used to program the cpu if needed. the way via the os is only a 2nd variant.

btw. if you have got no clue about assembler (even that has got an abstraction layer, but not that far away) you dont know what opcodes are...

Comment

a crashing system is no real attack.
            Maybe that system was running a nuclear refinery before it crashed. Hint hint.

Comment

@kano
              Kerckhoff's law always beat "security through obscurity" because of murphy's law.
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerckhoffs%27_principle
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_through_obscurity
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy%27s_law
              You didn't know that?

Comment

Michael only banned Q for 1 week

So it makes sense that he's showing up again now.

But this effort to hide his new identity is laughable. If he truly isn't Q, then he is talking to him in IRC and copy/pasting Q's remarks verbatim, because no one else could possibly come up with the same broken english grammar style that Q used.

Comment

After Qaridarium's one week ban he showed up and trolled again, so he was banned permanently: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...idarium-thread!
                  So his new arrival here is circumventing Michael's decision and should immediately be followed by another ban.

Comment

Originally posted by TobiSGD View Post
                    After Qaridarium's one week ban he showed up and trolled again, so he was banned permanently: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...idarium-thread!
                    So his new arrival here is circumventing Michael's decision and should immediately be followed by another ban.
                    Ah, my mistake. Classic Q though, asking to get banned and then receiving his wish.

Comment

@maldorordiscord

in order to upload microcode to the cpu you have to be root. when you are root already you can do much smarter things and what you want the least is that the system just crashes. you can allocate much ram even as user permanently, so you do not even need to get root to make one system unstable.

Comment

Working...
                      X