MIPS Loongson 3A Benchmarks On Debian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by artivision View Post
    Any way Godson-L3C will have 2*512bitFmac per core. Thats 2*Intel and 4*AMD. If all this can be utilized by a single thread, will have a 15-20-drystone (Sandybridge has 9.5). And Godson is made for complexity and not for energy efficiency. Energy efficient MIPS and OpenRisc processor scores 2.5-drystone with 1Million transistor not 40Million of Godson.
    Hi you are right but my comparison was against x86 cpus and not risc cpus.
    Loongson is less complex than a modern x86 cpu.
    And sure I think the Loongson3C is nice

The only problem right now is: I can not buy one.

Comment

• Finally you can order the Lemote Yeelong 8133 with Loongson 3A CPU in Europe (source)

It is quite expensive though.

Comment

• Michael, some benches of it? Maybe you could get a review unit, being the linux bench site and all

Comment

• Originally posted by chithanh View Post
          Finally you can order the Lemote Yeelong 8133 with Loongson 3A CPU in Europe (source)

It is quite expensive though.
          Yeah 840 Euros is way too expensive. I wonder how much it costs in China.

Comment

• Originally posted by ldesnogu View Post
            Yeah 840 Euros is way too expensive. I wonder how much it costs in China.
            the 840? is wrong because its without VAT tax. its costs you ~1000?

Comment

• Originally posted by Artemis3 View Post
              Hmm i should have done benchmarks last time i had one of those in my hands, no, not the 3a, the older one in the yeeloong netbook...
              This is a fine 64 bit processor. When you install the OS, you need the mipsel architecture, not mips.

Just like arm, it should find its way into the datacenter eventually. The Yeeloong netbook has no hardware blobs (even the bios is open), which is why Stallman has one. I wasn't able to install gnewsense but Debian worked fine on it.

I wonder if that deal nvidia lost in China was to put gpus in loongson based machines? They should be fine with the radeon driver i guess.
              Hi,

I have the Yeeloong Lemote, it is a nice piece of hardware although the battery lasts no more than 2 hours (which is still pretty good).

About the openness of the platform, unfortunately two elements remain non-free: 1. the embedded controller firmware (which manages buttons, power, ... I think it's a 8051), and 2. the firmware inside the HDD itself (which depends on your brand. usually it's a small ARM uC). It's not really a big deal anyway, but afaik there is no completely free hardware platform at the moment, except completely FPGA-based ones like Milkymist - and even then you need proprietary FPGA tool to recompile the bitstream.

Comment

• Originally posted by pharos View Post
                Hi,

I have the Yeeloong Lemote, it is a nice piece of hardware although the battery lasts no more than 2 hours (which is still pretty good).

About the openness of the platform, unfortunately two elements remain non-free: 1. the embedded controller firmware (which manages buttons, power, ... I think it's a 8051), and 2. the firmware inside the HDD itself (which depends on your brand. usually it's a small ARM uC). It's not really a big deal anyway, but afaik there is no completely free hardware platform at the moment, except completely FPGA-based ones like Milkymist - and even then you need proprietary FPGA tool to recompile the bitstream.
                In fact there are I think completely free hardware platforms: homebrew computers, for example http://6502.org/homebuilt (then 6502 was fully reverse-engineered at the gate level, so it can be considered open hardware. see http://www.visual6502.org/)

Comment

Working...
                X