Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing DRM Drivers Back To Older Linux Kernels

Phoronix: Bringing DRM Drivers Back To Older Linux Kernels

As part of a GSoC project through the Linux Foundation, some of the popular open-source DRM graphics drivers are being back-ported to older Linux kernel releases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is a retarded project.
    JUST UPDATE THE FRIKKIN KERNEL IN DOUCHEBUNTU!!!!

Comment

Does this mean that Ubuntu 12.04 users will benefit from these newer gpu drivers?

Comment

Yes, you will be able to install the newer drivers in 12.04 then. It's easy for people who want to keep compatibility with proprietary driver (needing older kernel version) but also want to use cutting-edge open-source at times. Like me.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          This is a retarded project.
          JUST UPDATE THE FRIKKIN KERNEL IN DOUCHEBUNTU!!!!
          on an LTS ?

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
            on an LTS ?
            Fuck Ubuntu. Fuck LTS.

Fix the latest code and submit it upstream, do not use outdated crap and crappy cooked patches on distros.

PERIOD!

Comment

on an LTS ?
              I'm running Linux Mint13 which is based on Ubuntu12.04 LTS with the 3.5 kernel and OSS Nouveau and R600G drivers from the Ubuntu Xorg Edgers PPA and all is well, it's been fairly smooth sailing.

Comment

When I first read the title I though he was going to backport the drivers to 2.6.8 like a real man would.

Comment

on an LTS ?
                  LTS is meaningless. This isn't exactly an enterprise-class distro!!! THERE ARE no proprietary drivers restricted to 3.2!!!!
                  If you're going to back-port for enterprise-class distros and proprietary driver support, you're going all the way back to 2.6.32[, or 2.6.18]. Pick one. Anything else is like the government repaving perfectly good roads every 2 years to burn money.

Comment

2.6.8? Pfft, it should all run on 2.4.37.

Comment

Working...
                    X