Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt Looks Towards Using OpenGL 3.x, ANGLE

Phoronix: Qt Looks Towards Using OpenGL 3.x, ANGLE

There's some interesting OpenGL-related news out of the Qt development camp...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sounds like this will be after 5.0 is that correct?

Comment

Umm......what?

When Google was seeking greater support for WebGL in Chrome/Chromium and discovered most of the OpenGL drivers on Windows are in bad shape, they conceived ANGLE to take OpenGL ES 2.0 as input and output for DirectX 9.0 graphics drivers.
      Umm....just curious, where did you get this assertion based off of? Seems like kind of a bold thing to say without any sources to substantiate, and I question whether or not this is really just a misguided opinion.

Anyway, whether or not "OpenGL drivers on Windows are in bad shape," the developers of ANGLE seem to have a differing reason for its creation, according to the project's homepage:

The goal of ANGLE is to allow Windows users to seamlessly run WebGL content by translating OpenGL ES 2.0 API calls to DirectX 9 API calls.

Current browser implementations of WebGL depend on having OpenGL 2.0 drivers present to render content, however these drivers are not available on many computers. ANGLE is an early work-in-progress, but when complete, it will enable browsers to run WebGL content without requiring users to find and install new OpenGL drivers.
      It seems to me that, according to the language in their statement, the reason behind ANGLE was due more to a lack of availability of drivers--not necessarily a lack in quality. I'd just caution you on some apparent use of sensationalism without proper fact-checking first...

-PF

Comment

QT is such a advanced Toolkit, developers please stop using gtk crap please?

Comment

Originally posted by Prince781 View Post
          Umm....just curious, where did you get this assertion based off of? Seems like kind of a bold thing to say without any sources to substantiate, and I question whether or not this is really just a misguided opinion.

Anyway, whether or not "OpenGL drivers on Windows are in bad shape," the developers of ANGLE seem to have a differing reason for its creation, according to the project's homepage:

It seems to me that, according to the language in their statement, the reason behind ANGLE was due more to a lack of availability of drivers--not necessarily a lack in quality. I'd just caution you on some apparent use of sensationalism without proper fact-checking first...

-PF
          No, in this case Michael is 100% correct.

The "OpenGL drivers on Windows are in bad shape," mentioned are mostly older Intel drivers. It used to be that Intel didn't care about OpenGL at all on Windows and focused 99% of Direct3D support, and even that was iffy. Now their drivers are a lot better, but there is still a HUGE install base of Intel machines with old drivers that haven't been updated in 5 years. The lack of "availability" you quoted refers to the lack of working drivers. If it doesn't work, it's not "available".

After Google started the ANGLE project, Firefox and other browsers looking to implement WebGL on Windows all came together to work on it as a team, because they all had the same issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
            QT is such a advanced Toolkit, developers please stop using gtk crap please?
            Couldn't agree more. I love programming in Qt. The licensing issues they used to have issues with have been sorted out to the point where you have a choice of 4 or 5 licences to choose from. But alas I am worried Qt is headed to the scrap heap. Big Blue, Oracle, Google and Redhat are in love with java. The phone guys have abandoned it. Once the window guy came to Nokia he made it his top goal to make sure Qt would be killed off, less it create competition for Microsoft. Really is there any one other than KDE that uses it in any substantial way any more?

Comment

Originally posted by jvillain View Post
              Couldn't agree more. I love programming in Qt. The licensing issues they used to have issues with have been sorted out to the point where you have a choice of 4 or 5 licences to choose from. But alas I am worried Qt is headed to the scrap heap. Big Blue, Oracle, Google and Redhat are in love with java. The phone guys have abandoned it. Once the window guy came to Nokia he made it his top goal to make sure Qt would be killed off, less it create competition for Microsoft.
              Lucky, then, that Qt is run by an independent foundation now.

Originally posted by jvillain View Post
              Really is there any one other than KDE that uses it in any substantial way any more?
              Just from wikipedia, Google Earth, Maya, Mathematica, MythTV, Last.FM, Scribus, Skype, Stellarium, TeamSpeak, VirtualBox, VLC, and many others.

Comment

Working...
              X