No announcement yet.

Wine Developers Fight Over PulseAudio Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meh. Pulseaudio sucks. It's the first thing I remove when I do a fresh install.

Comment

Originally posted by halo9en View Post
      Meh. Pulseaudio sucks. It's the first thing I remove when I do a fresh install.
      How do you know it sucks then?

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
        I would agree with you unnecessary CPU consumption was PA's only problem. My system is modern, I don't use it. Not saying other shouldn't just saying you're off on your statement. With that being said, I do think wine should be able to handle it if nothing else. I don't really like the idea of wine having a default I guess.
        Once again, pulse-damon.conf. It has loads and loads of settings to micromanage how much CPU it uses. It's set to be high priority by default (so that audio isn't interrupted), and you can change that very easily.

It seems that the main problems that people have with PA are that a) it was released earlier than it was ready (integrated properly) and so people still remember it in that broken state, even if it's fixed long ago, and b) that nobody cares to read the manual for it...

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
          When my system is under heavy load I notice that if I listen to an mp3 it starts stuttering or even pausing completely until the hdd usage goes down. Under windows, under heavy load, I don't get that behavior. Who should I be insulting? PulseAudio or something lower level like the driver in the kernel?
          Your IO scheduler, and maybe your mp3 player app too. For all pulse's faults it doesn't really cause HD contention.

Comment

The problem is PulseAudio, IT SUCKS.

Fix ALSA, add features and improve it. There's features to be added available in JACK too.

Linux needs to improve the low latency audio issues in the kernel.

And well, it seems Codeweavers is doing nasty things in the Wine project...

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
            How do you know it sucks then?
            I suposse he suffered it tons of times, and suffering it in new installations too. That happens to me constantly, specially on Ubuntu crap

Comment

Originally posted by spiral_23 View Post
              hey guys come down and don't talk like winDOS people. !rolleyes!
              These babies are Ubuntu people. You can spot them easily even if they don't resort to such bad language.
              They think that Linux is that thing they've been using a bit and try to argue even if they have no references.

Comment

I dont have any problems with pulseaudio. Never had. Only problems were caused by alsa itself.
                I really miss alsa controls, with pulseaudio, kmix is so empty...
                Stop blaming pulseaudio, i'm sure that it fixed problems faster than it would have taken with improving alsa.
                But thats offtopic.

(PS. my english can be bad sometimes, sorry)

Comment

Originally posted by rang501 View Post
                  I really miss alsa controls, with pulseaudio, kmix is so empty...
                  Veromix! Veromix! To be fair, you should never install KMix where PulseAudio is installed, there is no point, only possible conflicts.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    Veromix! Veromix! To be fair, you should never install KMix where PulseAudio is installed, there is no point, only possible conflicts.
                    Veromix is too unstable. Too many visual glitches (maintaining its size, alignment issues)

Comment

Use PulseAudio and you will get loads of stutter

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                      When my system is under heavy load I notice that if I listen to an mp3 it starts stuttering or even pausing completely until the hdd usage goes down. Under windows, under heavy load, I don't get that behavior. Who should I be insulting? PulseAudio or something lower level like the driver in the kernel?
                      That's exactly what I get with that crap PulseAudio. If my system is under heavy load music starts to stutter and even goes off for a second or two or even more. I'm replacing it with OSSv4 which doesn't have that problems but unfortunately it has other shortcomings.

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                      Once again, pulse-damon.conf. It has loads and loads of settings to micromanage how much CPU it uses. It's set to be high priority by default (so that audio isn't interrupted), and you can change that very easily.

It seems that the main problems that people have with PA are that a) it was released earlier than it was ready (integrated properly) and so people still remember it in that broken state, even if it's fixed long ago, and b) that nobody cares to read the manual for it...
                      Yeah PulseAudio has the highest possible priority set by default and even than it can't work under heavy load (audio is interrupted all the time). That's one of things why it is pure crap.

Comment

Working...
                      X