No announcement yet.

Wine Developers Fight Over PulseAudio Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, okay, I was facetious. But I thought my argument (which is really only a gripe with your argument) was quite clear: you state that Pulseaudio is bad simply because it is a daemon. But functionality is going to cost resources one way or another, and being a daemon appears to be the only logical way to implement this particular functionality.

Of course, I am not saying it is free of bugs, because as you point out, people are suffering from them right now. But Pulseaudio's design, at least, will make things work in a way that bare ALSA simply wasn't designed to. When the most pressing bugs are ironed out, linux will finally have a workable, competitive desktop audio system. But ALSA is not that system.

Comment

I have no illusions that Ubuntu will drop PA. If PA works for you, bless you. But I will always remember what PA does to me, from scratchy audio to phantom audio drops to whatever the hell it wants to do. I have better things to do than worry about PA.

I don't really give a crap about who 'won'. I'll just rip out PA on the next distribution I install and use whatever I want. Freedom of choice.

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
      1. I've been using PA exclusively since Fedora 9-10 (?) on >10 desktop machines, with zero issues.
      This of-course doesn't necessarily negates your experience, but its just as valid.

2. It's time to give it a rest. PA won, Alsa-clean lost. You may enjoy tweaking alsarc and dmix on a per-application basis, but a vast majority of the Linux user-base don't (hence the exponential increase in PA aware distributions and software).
      Granted, you may find like-minded people and find PA-free distributions, but in the current rate of affairs, the selection is rather thin and will only get thinner.

As I doubt that you truly believe that repeating the same rant over and over again will cause Ubuntu or Fedora to drop PA (and I'm not talking about you specifically), you're left with one of two options:
      1. Learn how to get PA working for you, or 2. start marking preparation to switch to BSD.

- Gilboa

Comment

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
        I have no illusions that Ubuntu will drop PA. If PA works for you, bless you. But I will always remember what PA does to me, from scratchy audio to phantom audio drops to whatever the hell it wants to do. I have better things to do than worry about PA.

I don't really give a crap about who 'won'. I'll just rip out PA on the next distribution I install and use whatever I want. Freedom of choice.
        I personally believe that PA will become increasingly hard to rip-out, but as long as it works for you, great.

- Gilboa
        oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
        oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
        oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
        Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
        X