Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome 20 Takes Over Adobe Flash On Linux

Phoronix: Chrome 20 Takes Over Adobe Flash On Linux

Google's Chrome web-browser reached version 20 yesterday and for Linux users this marks the point that the web company has taken over Flash Player support on Linux from Adobe using its PPAPI implementation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So when will we see PPAPI in Firefox?

Comment

Pepper in Firefox

Why doesn't Mozilla Firefox support PPAPI (Pepper)?

Comment

Bad bad bad , corruption image , problems with alsa , lost frames...:/, horrible ( ATI HD 4650, catalyst 12.4)

Comment

I suppose this is a chrome only thing or is/will it be possible to take advantage of this with chromium?

Comment

Originally posted by R00KIE View Post
            I suppose this is a chrome only thing or is/will it be possible to take advantage of this with chromium?
            I am pretty sure this was a mistake in the post, because Chromium is the Dev OpenSource only version of the stable Google Chrome, and since the PPAPI isn't OpenSource, it is very unlikely that we will find flash directly on Chromium. So for now we have to just stay with the old version available in the repositories.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Why doesn't Mozilla Firefox support PPAPI (Pepper)?
              Because no plugins used it at all up to now. The PPAPI plugin is not available outside Chrome, though it is maybe possible to use Chrome's flash in another browser with PPAPI support if Chrome is installed.

Comment

Chrome began lightweight but has turned into bloatware. My current Chrome install is about 107MB while Firefox 42MB. Firefox also starts faster while it was the opposite when Chrome first appeared.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
                  Chrome began lightweight but has turned into bloatware. My current Chrome install is about 107MB while Firefox 42MB. Firefox also starts faster while it was the opposite when Chrome first appeared.
                  Personally my 2 big problems with Firefox are :
                  1 - The syncronization (It is simply a mess... you have to store the key somewhere to simply not loose it, and If you loose that key you have to reset and key and by consequence reset all firefox have syncronized until that moment...)

2 - The Instability (Just yesterday, trying Firefox for 10 minutes, and it Freezed my Gnome Session 3 times, I had to hard reset because I couldn't press any key or move anything)...

Appart of that I am just waiting for Firefox to get a little more stable and a better Syncronization option in order to switch back... Because we have to admit... Chrome is getting worse and worse, bigger day after day, and even Fedora don't want Chromium on their official repositories even know that it is opensource (ou can read this post explaining why http://ostatic.com/blog/making-proje...isnt-in-fedora).

Comment

Originally posted by aliasbody View Post
                    I am pretty sure this was a mistake in the post, because Chromium is the Dev OpenSource only version of the stable Google Chrome, and since the PPAPI isn't OpenSource, it is very unlikely that we will find flash directly on Chromium. So for now we have to just stay with the old version available in the repositories.
                    PPAPI is very much open source (the code is BSD licenced) and Chromium supports the API the same way as Chrome. Flash is closed source so it obviously isn't going to be shipped with Chromium by default. However it's quite easy to install the Flash player included in Chrome to Chromium. I'm personally running Chromium 20.0.1132.43 with Flash player 11.3.31.208 (PPAPI).

Comment

Working...
                    X