Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sapphire X1950 Pro fans max out

Hey!

First of all, been following the driver release discussions from 8.42.3 and onwards and I must say that the drivers are working exceptionally well here (except that I got hit by the widescreen bug).

Onwards to my problem; the GPU fan are more or less always maxed out while in linux. The fan works very well in for example Windows. Is there some kind of option I could add to my xorg.conf (or maybe when compiling the fglrx driver) that can turn of the fan control (since I don't game in linux it's pretty useless anyway).

I haven't found a way to track the temperature though, so it might be that Ubuntu (or the fglrx driver itself) puts a heavy load on the GPU (even in idle stage), but I find that less believable since linux has always been better (in my experience) in using your systems hardware.

Since this card (atleast I think) is factory overclocked, it only comes with one Powerstep, so there's no help there either.

So - Is there a way to somehow control the fans?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the half-long post. ;-)

Same problem

I don't know the solution, if there is any. I too have a similar card based on Radeon X1950 Pro, and the fan is always running at its maximum, the 7.12 driver introduced the widescreen-bug, so I had to downgrade to 7.11 in order to use 1680 by 1050. Just like you, aticonfig --lsp only lists one powerlevel.

In addition to all the other well-known bugs in the Catalyst-driver, I also can't make a switch to console without getting a black screen. I assume this to be a problem with horizontal/vertical hz, which may or may not be related to the motherboard (Abit AB 9 Pro). This problem seems to be in effect as long as I am running X ... Changing framebuffer settings, or turning it off does not make any difference.

Comment

I have two Radeon X1950Pro made by ATI and the fans are still at max speed even with the Catalyst 8.02.

"aticonfig --lsp" also gives me only 1 powerstate at 574MHz...

Has anyone found a solution yet ?

Comment

francois already tried my old version of radeontool, could any of you try the new version and see if it helps

it's at http://nskunca.pbf.hr/~vedran/ati/ra...-qq-vr2.tar.gz and instructions are at http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6522

Comment

I just tried Vedran Rodic's new version of Radeontool and it solved my problem.

See my results here:

I might be wrong, but my conclusion is that "aticonfig --lsp" only lists one powerlevel for desktop cards because it instead rely on a built-in function to adjust itself to your needs... it's just switched to give full power 100% of the time by default

Vedran Rodic's adapted Radeontool to turn this feature on and it worked like a charm for me!
          Last edited by francois; 21 February 2008, 09:12 PM.

Comment

francois, I'm glad that it works!

Comment

Working...
            X