Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 153

Thread: KDE No Longer Competitive? Developer Calls It Quits

  1. #91
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    187

    Default

    It's a shame he's leaving. He did a great job with dolphin, probably my fav file manager, though I use nautilus right now - which is also great - cos I love gnome 3 and its.. err.. default.

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    41

    Question

    well I really would have liked to hear specific examples from him as to what he doesn't like in KDE and what he likes about Mac/Windows.

  3. #93

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    I use Linux actually, but I know the difference between real problems and stupid Windows way of doing things. ;>
    I quite agree with you that Windows has its share of problems and often they are much more severe than those we have in Linux.

    However the problem is the people (leaving Windows and) trying Linux expect a perfectly stable, fast and bug-free system, and Linux is not such a system. People don't want to tinker with Linux, they do it all the time with Windows because Windows likes to break for almost no reasons.

    You are obviously wrong about regressions in the Linux kernel, maybe because you haven't filed a single bug report against the kernel, and on my part I read LKML and keep a close eye on the kernel's bugzilla.

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    [...]The only things that keep me using it are Kwin and Akregator. The main argument I used to defend my obsessive use of KDE was Kmail but I swapped that out for Thunderbird a year ago and with it's conversation add-on I don't think I'll be going back to Kmail.[...]
    The last time I used KDE as primary desktop environment was several years ago, a 3.5.x version in PCLinuxOS.

    A good gtk program replacement for Akregator is Liferea. Or is in Akregator anything considerable better than in Liferea? I don't think so.

    My favorite E-Mail client is Evolution.

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    If some people can't contribute with something as simple as reporting a bug then those people don't have the right to complain about our software.
    "Our software"!? WHO the hell are you, that you get to decide that?

    The basis of free software is that you are free from the shackles of proprietary software, and can do (almost-) anything you want.

    So in your view, if a person just wants to USE his computer, he shouldn't use KDE. Maybe KDE should come with a license agreeement "By running this software, you will have to shut the fuck up about issues, or you HAVE to contribute. Otherwise, get back to windows, lemming".

    I haven't contributed to KDE a lot, but people out there, feel free to ignore ASDX and FUCKING COMPLAIN about code I've written. And let it be known that I don't consider *MY* code to be *HIS* software.

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by birdie View Post
    because Windows likes to break for almost no reasons.
    Are You serious? It's just pure nonsense. Try to use latest linux software updates and You will see what breaks for no reason, linux or windows. And Windows 7 is the most stable OS i've ever used. Seriously don't make this thread linux vs windows. One and biggest thing that KDE needs is User Interface polishing. Now it's grey with ugly (IMO) icons.

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    945

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoen1x View Post
    Are You serious? It's just pure nonsense. Try to use latest linux software updates and You will see what breaks for no reason, linux or windows.
    Funny... I have access to a Windows 7 system that is full of stuff that should work but doesn't and I still haven't figured it out how to unbreak it. I think it has something to do with a database that got corrupted but I still haven't got the time to actually try to fix it, and in the mean time there is software that just won't update with the system updates. So, yeah, all operating systems break and have bugs. It's normal, and Windows is no different and never was. Just because it's working for you doesn't mean it always works 100% for everybody in the world in every computer that exists. Also, if you don't believe me try to search for "Can't install windows 7 SP1", or "Can't install Internet Explorer 9 on Windows 7" and see how many hits that gets you :P

    With that said, even with all the bugs that every operating system has I still find it amazing that the bloody things even work at all, considering the astronomic amount of code that goes into them and the inherent possibility for something going wrong since it was all done by humans that make mistakes.

  8. #98

    Default

    KDE works quite nicely if you tweak it here and there (for instance use one database for amarok,digikam,akonadi), tune amarok to have a greater buffer, disable nepomuk, (for my machine: tune malloc). I wonder if there's a Tipps&Tricks Page to avoid the rougher edges... i definately don't like the defaults.

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [Knuckles] View Post
    "Our software"!? WHO the hell are you, that you get to decide that?

    The basis of free software is that you are free from the shackles of proprietary software, and can do (almost-) anything you want.

    So in your view, if a person just wants to USE his computer, he shouldn't use KDE. Maybe KDE should come with a license agreeement "By running this software, you will have to shut the fuck up about issues, or you HAVE to contribute. Otherwise, get back to windows, lemming".

    I haven't contributed to KDE a lot, but people out there, feel free to ignore ASDX and FUCKING COMPLAIN about code I've written. And let it be known that I don't consider *MY* code to be *HIS* software.
    Knuckles, just ignore ASDX.

    He(she?) is pretty much just fanatical and a bit of a FOSS zealot. ...He's said a bunch of ridiculous crap in a few threads over the last while. Everything from him thinking the linux kernel should be forked, to writing 'fuck you, nvidia' over and over again ~ as if we didn't get the point the 1st time he wrote it.

    he's also wrong to think that because he uses software, that it qualifies as being 'his', or his because he is apart of a community. I've made minor contributions to a few projects, but i don't consider that software to be mine, specifically. it's just software that i use, and when an opportunity presents itself - help improve.... I generally consider a project to be someone's when they lead a project and are the chief architect / designer of the software...

    I don't know where adsx gets off thinking that as an end-user he has some ownership over a free software project. (?!)

    it's kinda funny that he thinks he does though

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Poland, Warsaw
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    If some people can't contribute with something as simple as reporting a bug then those people don't have the right to complain about our software.
    1) It's not so simple if you have tens of them to report, do tests you're asked for etc. Many people don't know how to properly report a bug, too.
    2) So, according to you, FOSS is only for programmers? Or at least people who know how to test the software they use? The rest has to go for Windows or OS X? If you say so...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •