KDE No Longer Competitive? Developer Calls It Quits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    Yeah, that sums it up. Why do something for free in a shitty online environment filled with whiny self-entitled Linux users when you can get paid six figures to do stuff in an awesome office environment with a user-insulating QA department?

Comment

What?

Originally posted by Larian View Post
      A few distributions have abandoned KDE lately
      May I ask which distributions?

Comment

Rather from moron problems.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
          Yeah, that sums it up. Why do something for free in a shitty online environment filled with whiny self-entitled Linux users when you can get paid six figures to do stuff in an awesome office environment with a user-insulating QA department?
          It sums up your idiotic bullshit. There's even stated "it's not Linux to Windows comparison", but morons tend to ignore this. Why do something in a shitty expensive environment filled with whiny masochistic winblows morons when you can get much better out of the box experience for free by using the awesome Linux operating system? There's full of MS shit in your head. Thankfully this dos crap with 3D layer is going to end when Linux get games and software. It's illogical and moronic to use and pay for full of security holes virus ware crap.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
            Luckily you are on my ignore list. Your words clearly indicate the level (not the lowest, just missing entirely) of argumentation you can provide.

Comment

Luckily you are on my ignore list. Your words clearly indicate the level (not the lowest, just missing entirely) of argumentation you can provide.
              If I ever care. I don't care about idiots and you're the one without any logic in your posts. I can destroy your moronic list if you want just to make you and other morons look even more stupid. But what do I get for this? Btw. while I'm on your ignore list how the hell your know what I wrote? It's so stupid, you know? Oh, you don't.
              Last edited by kraftman; 26 June 2012, 05:22 PM.

Comment

So what?

Developers come to and leave FOSS projects all the time. Heck, even the KDE initiator uses GNOME since years. So what?
                There are parts within KDE that are not doing well and there parts that do well. As it's all modular, it's easy to use alternatives. E.g. I do not use Konqueror or Rekonq as web browser but Firefox.
                Peter leaving is sad but the world is not ending. Dolphin is in good shape and a new maintainer is already filling the gap. Hey, maybe it's for the better?
                Who would've thought that KWin would so greatly improve after Lubos Lunak was reassigned by his employer Novell to work on OpenOffice/LibreOffice. Martin stepped in and turned KWin fron a second-grade WM to the best out there.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                  I have encountered many of the problems listed there. They are annoying, and it's impossible to work around them.

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
                    File bug reports then
                    There was never a need to file a bug report because all bugs I encountered were already in the bug tracker. In most cases they were even filed a long time before the relase. The project manager of that piece of software just didn't care and released his code none the less.

Originally posted by asdx
                    or even fix them yourself and then contribute the fixes back to the code. Or do some work to improve the test suite so that you make sure there are tests in place to avoid regressions.
                    Honestly? I would do that if there were only a few KDE projects which needed help with proper QA. The truth however is that most of the KDE projects are in desperate need of QA. You can't work your way into the code of each and every project. Besides the way they handle their relases shows me that many of the KDE developers have absolutely no interest in proper QA. They don't delay releases, they never revert back to an older version of a project, they never release an early bugfix release but instead they just go on, no matter how bad the release is.

Of course there are also some people within the KDE community who do care about quality. The kwin developer for example is such an exception.

However, just looking at the taskbar, which still does not work properly 4.5 years after the release of 4.0, shows me that there is no point in trying to improve QA because the developers just don't care about it. Come on, the TASKBAR, one of the most basic items of a desktop environment is still unable to align icons properly!

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                      Developers come to and leave FOSS projects all the time. Heck, even the KDE initiator uses GNOME since years. So what?
                      There are parts within KDE that are not doing well and there parts that do well. As it's all modular, it's easy to use alternatives. E.g. I do not use Konqueror or Rekonq as web browser but Firefox.
                      Peter leaving is sad but the world is not ending. Dolphin is in good shape and a new maintainer is already filling the gap. Hey, maybe it's for the better?
                      Who would've thought that KWin would so greatly improve after Lubos Lunak was reassigned by his employer Novell to work on OpenOffice/LibreOffice. Martin stepped in and turned KWin fron a second-grade WM to the best out there.
                      Who is the KDE initiator uses GNOME now?
                      Nice comment overall

Comment

Working...
                      X