KDE No Longer Competitive? Developer Calls It Quits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Larian View Post
    I feel like I've kicked the hornet's nest here, but I've got to stand by my observations: KDE was de-facto broken on Mint 13 because of hidden settings and audio incompatibility with industry standard hardware.
    KDE doesn't interact with hardware directly; ALSA does. KDE uses PulseAudio if it's available (like Gnome) so the hardware is always as supported in KDE as it's in any other desktop environment that uses PA. Your problems were related to configuration which couldn't be any easier than what it's with Veromix.

My personal bitch with KDE is that it seemed locked down when I first tried it in version 4. Settings were in odd places when they could be found at all, I was completely unable to customize my desktop to my satisfaction (they wanted a "unified experience" on the desktop, and fuck what I wanted to do), and there were all these *surprise!* features that got in the way more than they added to my experience, while others were so unintuitive that I'm not sure I could figure out what they were for even today. But as I said, I'm comfortable in a Gnome 2 environment, and KDE is the dark side of the moon in comparison.
    Ehh... what? KDE has always been about the possibility to configure just about everything. The unified experience is what Gnome is going after.

We did mess around with Phonon as well but to no effect. To my mind, on a fresh install, things like this should be detected automatically and made the default. I don't know why the audio wasn't piped correctly either, and no set of sliders, work in ALSA-mixer, or burning little effigies of Bill Gates and Steve Jobs solved the problem.
    If you have multiple output sources then there's no possible way to define what is the wanted output. ALSA-mixer then again doesn't have anything to do with KDE and it shouldn't be used if you are running PulseAudio.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
      Example some people are also good at graphics and others with structure. Someone can spend a day doing an icon, where another a few hours. A whole day for an icon, means you sacrifice your life. KDE is a project with few workers, so getting supporters means a lot of work is done by those that are active and it can be inefficient and detrimental to one's life.
      Icons have more to do with inspiration than actually doing it. It might take you 5 minutes or 10 days to get it right.

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
        File bug reports then, or even start learning how to fix them yourself, then contribute back.
        Did both. But at some point you just loose hope. We're up to KDE 4.8, and still there are still some very basic and annoying bugs.
        Yes, many of them reported!

Some developers are great, they reply on the same day, etc. But other bugs just die there.
        And as I've said before, worst of all, I made a patch for a bug that has been there for years, and was very straightforward and it the patch got ignored.
        So should I also be responsible for taking up maintaining that part of KDE, just because I don't want that bug?

At some point, you start wanting to use your computer, not just fixing it. Peter Penz does not say that, but I think he at least hints that he left linux -- wanna guess why?

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger_Coder View Post
          Dolphin is the worst part of my KDE Desktop(I don't have installed all basic apps and some app I use like Chrome are not K'ed but mostly Ksofts). It crashed and crashed for no good reason since forever. I pray new main maintainer would make it better.

Anyway I read, heard lots of things about people bitching about KDE. As long as I feel my productivity and fun are best served by KDE, I am with it.
          dolphin is the only thing I like about kde, much better than nautilus for example.

Comment

Looks like I'm a lucky guy, no bugs found here on my KDE 4.8

You should really read the original article, phoronix didn't mention some core elements.
            There is a boring qtquick port scheduled for dolphin, plus the author doesn't really have time for what started as a pet project.

It's all written there, before the bitching against all DEs.

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
              Default kde file manager was konqueror, which is still superior to dolphin(konqueror is quite useless as web browser, but best feature rich file manager for kde). I always replace dolphin with konqueror as default file manager.
              As matter of fact, i found konqueror to be good enough as a web browser and very primitive as a file manager. Dolphin is the best file manager for Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
                KDE doesn't interact with hardware directly; ALSA does. KDE uses PulseAudio if it's available (like Gnome) so the hardware is always as supported in KDE as it's in any other desktop environment that uses PA. Your problems were related to configuration which couldn't be any easier than what it's with Veromix.
                It's as if the door to the land of the wee-brained folk was unlocked and left unguarded for a time.

I know good and well it was a configuration problem. And no amount of fiddling with the configuration options solved it. (Getting tired of repeating myself here.) That's why we used a different distro. If there was an easy fix, it was neither obvious nor available on numerous forums we checked. I wonder if you are intentionally misunderstanding me.

Ehh... what? KDE has always been about the possibility to configure just about everything. The unified experience is what Gnome is going after.
                You didn't read a word I said.

If you have multiple output sources then there's no possible way to define what is the wanted output. ALSA-mixer then again doesn't have anything to do with KDE and it shouldn't be used if you are running PulseAudio.
                This objection is as dumb as it is completely irrelevant to anything we've been talking about. FYI, we disabled onboard audio in the BIOS and there was only ONE output it could choose from. And it was turned off by default. And another thing, saying that you shouldn't touch alsamixer with pulse? I've had to do that to get hardware to work (See also: ASUS P7P55D-E PRO motherboard and it's shitty drivers), because PA didn't know it's ass from a hole in the ground.

If a system detects an HDMI connection it should make that the default option. Period. Then at least you'll get audio of some kind.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
                  I think he's actually saying that it's very difficult to program with little reward. Today, what appears to be simple is really complex. Steve Jobs and Apple have moved computing into a user-friendly simplified direction, and that is good... but it means one needs to come up with innovative methods, yet have complex, feature rich abilities.

After 6 years of work Peter can't see much changed, even though there has been a horde of work. I programme myself and I can understand this.

Example some people are also good at graphics and others with structure. Someone can spend a day doing an icon, where another a few hours. A whole day for an icon, means you sacrifice your life. KDE is a project with few workers, so getting supporters means a lot of work is done by those that are active and it can be inefficient and detrimental to one's life.

Peter is saying he's near burnt out.
                  Well, I've been a mac user for years and i got tired from mac os, and now i am using KDE. I am going to get tired from Linux too and ill switch to mac os again. I think that he just got tired too, that's it.

But what i was trying to say is not what he means, is what he said. There's a lot of software bloat, even web bloat as he pointed out.

Comment

I had that too after a fresh install and as already mentioned in the bug report this http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=96351#p201489 "fixes" it. (well not a real fix, but you only have to do it once after a fresh install)

Comment

I've used every DE except for KDE honestly. Gnome, LXDE, XFCE, Cinnamon/Mate, and Enlightenment.

The only thing that stopped me from using KDE is the ridiculous amount of options and how much of a cluster it looked like to me. This guy is spot on when he talks about the UI, pretty sad because he probably understands the problems with KDE more than most people there. It's not too many options per say but the UI behind it that's off putting for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X