Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE No Longer Competitive? Developer Calls It Quits

Phoronix: KDE No Longer Competitive? Developer Calls It Quits

Peter Penz, the main developer of the Dolphin file manager for the KDE desktop and a K Desktop user since KDE v1.2, is calling it quits after contributing to KDE for more than the past half-decade. His reason for leaving the development of the popular open-source desktop environment is interesting...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In other words, the DE's are dumbing down to the level of iCrap, and are therefore no longer usable. He is rejecting this motion and refusing to participate in the dumbification.
    I say "GOOD FOR YOU!!!!" (honestly).

Comment

He being such an experienced developer and long-time contributor to KDE and experiencing what he feels/believes are productivity issues, I guess he would be in a good position to fix these productivity issues.

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      In other words, the DE's are dumbing down to the level of iCrap, and are therefore no longer usable. He is rejecting this motion and refusing to participate in the dumbification.
      I say "GOOD FOR YOU!!!!" (honestly).
      Or maybe he was saying that other desktop environments (such as GNOME, Windows, OS X) are more productive than KDE?

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
        In other words, the DE's are dumbing down to the level of iCrap, and are therefore no longer usable.
        Clearly, you didn't read Peter's blog post.

Comment

Dolphin is the worst part of my KDE Desktop(I don't have installed all basic apps and some app I use like Chrome are not K'ed but mostly Ksofts). It crashed and crashed for no good reason since forever. I pray new main maintainer would make it better.

Anyway I read, heard lots of things about people bitching about KDE. As long as I feel my productivity and fun are best served by KDE, I am with it.

Comment

Re

Wow, that's kind of sad. I wish it was 1-st April now...
            Peter Penz was one of my favorite developers, if not the favorite, seriously. Fast response, good with the community, fixing bugs and adding features.
            Once I reported a bug and after 40 minutes he already pushed the fix for the next release of KDE.

I find KDE best suited for my needs...
            The way he talks can be said about every Linux DE and every Linux specific application.
            Last edited by Alliancemd; 26 June 2012, 11:43 AM.

Comment

It's bad news, that the main developers leaves his program when, after last changes, it's still in beta phase :/ . He also leaves users without any bug fixes? Some people have also gave their free time, to make KDE a better DE. Now he leaves them in half way. Why hi didn't get other people some time to start continuing his work, and when it's stable situation, then leave KDE? I think that's not OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Druedain View Post
                It's bad news, that the main developers leaves his program when, after last changes, it's still in beta phase :/ . He also leaves users without any bug fixes? Some people have also gave their free time, to make KDE a better DE. Now he leaves them in half way. Why hi didn't get other people some time to start continuing his work, and when it's stable situation, then leave KDE? I think that's not OK.
                Well good.

I hope that everybody else will appreciate it better when you take over the reigns and take Dolphin to the next level over the next decade.

You have a lot of hard work ahead of you!!!

Comment

Dolphin was very good product. Recently there come Dolphin 2 which is now integrated with KDE 4.8 instead of previous release, but it's not as stable, so maybe you tell me why in such short period of time developer puts new version, what needed much work, and shortly tells that he leaves in it's beta state (I know it's now signed as a stable, bot there are still many issues).

I'm not KDE developer, so I won't continue that work. I'm trying my best where I have something to say. So, please stop that sarcastic comments.
                  Last edited by Druedain; 26 June 2012, 12:00 PM.

Comment

I've also posted this on the site, but I really do feel the same thing.

Although I haven't found a replacement, I feel less and less love for KDE and all its microbugs/quirks/general unpolishedness. Honestly, I still use KDE for work and home, but I'm finding it harder and harder to honestly recommend it as a credible option to other systems.

And yes I've filed bugs, and yes I've even wrote small and simple patches that were ignored because "well, we're planning a rewrite of that anyway... sometime... so let's leave the multi-year bug there, it's not visible on my machine anyway".

Comment

Working...
                    X