X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon 7850 and Ubuntu Precise

Hello,

I am very interested by the new AMD Radeon 7850 graphics card because:

- It is silent (tired of having a vacuum noise in my pc)
    - It uses less electricity

Well, this is not the most powerful of the market but it will be good enough to run my games on Linux (Thrine and other games of Humble Bundle)

But before buying, I'd like to know if:

- It is easy to install Linux / Ubuntu?
    - Stable?
    - The dual screen feature works well? (eg display TV + PC)
    - What about games under Wine (and other 3D, it works as well as in Nvidia?)
    - It is possible to use the audio through the HDMI?

Thank you for your feedback.

Hello, someone could share his experiment?

Comment

WIth a 7850, you'll have to use fglrx, which will probably suck badly with wine. In my experience it also kernel panics on shutdown.

So, do yourself a favor and buy nvidia, not least because most wine developers seem to test with nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by barkas View Post
        WIth a 7850, you'll have to use fglrx, which will probably suck badly with wine. In my experience it also kernel panics on shutdown.

So, do yourself a favor and buy nvidia, not least because most wine developers seem to test with nvidia.
        That's only because AMD needs an increased number of skilled beta testers that are able to actually figure out what caused wine to break.

Comment

No, amd just needs to allow anonymous access to the beta ftp server. It is as simple as that.

Comment

Just read whole thread: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...eries-on-Linux

Comment

I installed it yesterday and I see AMD graphic card work much better than 5 years ago on Linux, but that was not very difficult to do better...

1) On ubuntu precise, the card is too young and the radeon free driver does not recognize it. You have to install the Catalyst AMD driver 12.6.
              2) HDMI audio with 7850 is not implemented in the precise kernel. I have to install a 3.3.7 kernel for Ubuntu and it works good!
              3) with wine: I have a lot of problem, but there is solution all over the internet because there are a lot of people wich use ATI graphic card on Linux
              4) good results with recent 3D games
              5) dual screen ok PC+TV (clone or double screen)

I'll continue to post here my AMD 7580 experiment on Ubuntu precise

Next step:

- how to use HD video acceleration
              - driver stability?
              - resolve TTY console

Comment

HD Video with fglrx is easy. There is a xvba backend for vaapi.

Comment

But it is implemented in VLC or Totem? How to activate it? For the moment my cpu told me I have not acceleration video playback.

Comment

Install xvba-va-driver, check "Input & Codecs" -> "Use GPU accelerated decoding" in VLC preferences. Run "sudo amfconfig --set-pcs-u32=MCIL,HWUVD_H264Level51Support,1" if you need [email protected] video support.

Comment

Working...
                    X