No announcement yet.

Radeon 7850 and Ubuntu Precise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install xvba-va-driver, check "Input & Codecs" -> "Use GPU accelerated decoding" in VLC preferences. Run "sudo amfconfig --set-pcs-u32=MCIL,HWUVD_H264Level51Support,1" if you need [email protected] video support.
    Thank you for your support but I'm asking me why it is not integrated with the driver by default?
    I try to install it on ubuntu, the package name is:

Code:
    $ apt-cache search xvba
    xvba-va-driver - XvBA-based backend for VA API (AMD fglrx implementation)
    I installed it and after reboot, my system was unstable and I had no more 3D acceleration.
    Because the ubuntu package was compiled with another and older Catalyst version, the catalyst version of the Ubuntu official depot.
    While I installed the last version 12.6 from the file on the official AMD site.

Anyway, I decided to compile my own package. For this operation to work you have to install catalyst drivers from AMD site and choose deb package installation.

To compile xvba-va-driver Ubuntu package from source, do:

Code:
    $  apt-get build-dep xvba-va-driver
    to install dependency to compile this package then

Code:
    $ apt-get source -b xvba-va-driver
    and finally install the package:

Code:
    $ dpkg -i xvba-va-driver_0.7.8-1ubuntu3_amd64.deb
    I don't know if it is necessary, but i saw on a forum I have to add this lines:

LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME=xvba
    LIBVA_DRIVERS_PATH=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/

to /etc/environment file.

Reboot.

Finally I enable GPU acceleration in VLC but I didn't see a change, VLC continues to play video at 22% of my processor (intel core 2 duo 2ghz), like before the xvba-va-driver instalaltion...but I guess it is enough for 720 HD video playing.

Run "sudo amfconfig --set-pcs-u32=MCIL,HWUVD_H264Level51Support,1" if you need [email protected] video support.
    I didn't do that, I didn't understand what it is for...and my compute doesn't find amfconfig command.

AMD should integrate this video driver in the aim driver installation, it's a very annoying step I'll have to reproduce at each driver update...
    Last edited by legluondunet; 24 July 2012, 01:38 AM.

Comment

*amdconfig*

Comment

;-) ok.

When I play full HD video 1920x1072, VLC takes 35% processor and Xorg +20%, it is bad or good?
        Totem have worst performance with the same fully HD video: 60/70% proc, +20% Xorg

For the stability point, i have to verify if gnome-shell could be affected by Catalyst drivers, perrhaps a memory leak...
        Last edited by legluondunet; 24 July 2012, 02:10 AM.

Comment

with this xbmc https://launchpad.net/~wsnipex/+archive/xbmc-xvba HW acceleration works like charm. but only without composition. xbmc tends to freeze with composition.

Comment

Originally posted by legluondunet View Post
            Thank you for your support but I'm asking me why it is not integrated with the driver by default?
            Driver provide XvBA API, not VA-API. Even for using hardware decoder of Intel GPU you need to install separate i965-va-driver package. So it' more likely common VA-API problem, but not fglrx problem. For using API like XvBA and VDPAU (in software like XBMC-XvBA and mplayer) you doesn't need to install additional packages.
            Originally posted by legluondunet View Post
            Finally I enable GPU acceleration in VLC but I didn't see a change
            Did you check "vainfo" output?

Comment

$ vainfo
              libva: VA-API version 0.32.0
              Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0".
              libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
              libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/fglrx_drv_video.so
              libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
              vainfo: VA-API version: 0.32 (libva 1.0.15)
              vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems XvBA backend for VA-API - 0.7.8
              vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
              VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointVLD
              VAProfileVC1Advanced : VAEntrypointVLD

I think it's a good result?

next step, I have to declare some bug on "AMD radeon unofficial bug tracker":

- no access to my TTY console, only black screen
              - If I reboot the computer, I have off/on my screen or I have only a black screen
              - 12.6 is not compatible with 3.5 kernel
              Last edited by legluondunet; 24 July 2012, 04:38 PM.

Comment

To use Level51 support with xvba-va-driver, you need a patch I posted some time back into this forum - if you are on AMD64, you can also try a package I have made: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55728161/xvb....0-5_amd64.deb

Doing sudo amdconfig --set-pcs-u32=MCIL,HWUVD_H264Level51Support,1 alone is not enough as xvba-va-driver checks for Levels great than 41 and calcs down the reframes. Btw. rebuilding the ubuntu package i not good either as they ship binary only packages.

Update: Found my patch again :-) http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...701#post272701
                Last edited by fritsch; 25 July 2012, 02:29 AM.

Comment

Hello Fritsch,

before install your package, coul you give me the catalyst version it was compiled with?

Comment

It is independent, all that was needed is amdxvba.h and this API did not change since first release :-). I don't know how they link, but no fglrx needed. I had 12.6 installed.

Comment

Working...
                    X