No announcement yet.

FGLRX doesn't recognize 7750M on HP Envy 15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the 12-6 non-beta drivers properly recognize this device and gpu switching seems to work. Weeeee! Now if only I could switch without restarting x, and get all the speakers to work ...

Nonetheless -- AMD takes a lot of crap in this forum, but it's only been a week or so since this machine was released, we've already got driver support, and the HDMI out works which is more than I can say for any optimus laptop. I can see why I'd pick a nvidia chip for a desktop, but for a laptop the pickings are slim and AMD's the only fully functional option.

Comment

envy speakers

I used the following to get sound working correctly on my new envy 15:

#edit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf and add:
      blacklist snd-usb-audio

Now all audio working, including the volume control nob on the side. This also fixes some responsive issues with gnome. I noticed frequent error messages to the affect "cannot set freq 44100 to ep 0x1" and a quick google search showed the solution. The downside is not being able to use usb-audio, which I don't anyhow.

Originally posted by fearlsgroove View Post
      and get all the speakers to work ...

Comment

I had blacklisted the usb audio as you did, which allowed the audio to function, but there are 6 speakers in the laptop, but only two -- the two on the front edge -- are recognized in sound properties and playing sound. Have you gotten all 6 working?

Comment

Haha yah I didn't even notice that. I have the same issue. Not a deal breaker for me but I'll let you know if I find a solution..

Originally posted by fearlsgroove View Post
          I had blacklisted the usb audio as you did, which allowed the audio to function, but there are 6 speakers in the laptop, but only two -- the two on the front edge -- are recognized in sound properties and playing sound. Have you gotten all 6 working?

Comment

Hi, guys. I've just ordered HP Envy 15 a couple of days before. The folks from notebookreview.com mentioned a lot of troubles with it like
            1 - Slight outward protrusion of metal from one usb port on the left. I have pushed this in with a pencil eraser, and it is fine now
            2 - Below keyboard/around top of keyboard (by speaker holes) the metal was bent slightly upwards. A few firm pushes down straightened this out just fine.
            3 - Bottom of screen (By HP logo) the plexiglass seems to not be fully in place.
            Also there is a problem with faded blue and so on.
            Do you have any problems with it?

Also what's about linux compatibility? Is non working speakers the only issue?

For switchable graphics I hope bumblebee will support it.

Comment

Hi, guys. I just ordered mine Envy. I have a couple of questions. According to guys from noteboockreview.com they have a lot of troubles with it like
              1 - Slight outward protrusion of metal from one usb port on the left. I have pushed this in with a pencil eraser, and it is fine now
              2 - Below keyboard/around top of keyboard (by speaker holes) the metal was bent slightly upwards. A few firm pushes down straightened this out just fine.
              3 - Bottom of screen (By HP logo) the plexiglass seems to not be fully in place.
              Also some of the laptops have faded blue color of the screen.
              So do you have any of these problems with it?

Also what's about linux compatibility? Is the non working speakers the only issue?

As for dynamic graphics switching there is an open issue in bumblebee project.

Comment

Working...
              X