FGLRX doesn't recognize 7750M on HP Envy 15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FGLRX doesn't recognize 7750M on HP Envy 15

I've just bought a new HP Envy 15t-3200 (ivy) and am trying to get fglrx running on it, but no ati tools seem willing to recognize that it's a supported device. It's supposedly running a 7750M chip (along with an intel muxless I assume ...)
    Code:
    $ amdconfig --initial
    amdconfig: No supported drivers detected
    It's got a weird ID string in lspci:
    Code:
    $ lspci -nn | grep VGA
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Ivy Bridge Graphics Controller [8086:0166] (rev 09)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Device [1002:682f]
    I've tried the 12.4 drivers (both through Ubuntu and dl'd from ATI) as well as the 12.6 beta drivers and get the same results everywhere. FOSS drivers work ok. I tried creating a simple xorg.conf file

Can anyone tell me how to find a list of PCI IDs supported by a given ATI driver? Does it identify by PCI ID? Anyone else have this model working with proprietary driver?

The problematic thing is that your system has intel onboard active as well. If you could disable it it would be better. Your pci-id is at least supported by 12-6 beta (just looked into my script), but you would get a watermark. But why did you call aticonfig as user?
    Code:
    sudo -i
    printf 'Section "Device"\n    Identifier     "Device0"\n    Driver         "fglrx"\nEndSection\n' > /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    would work if there would not be intel... Btw. you see all supported chips in common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/fglrxko_pci_ids.h. Or when the module is already compiled using modinfo fglrx.

Comment

I had run amdconfig as sudo so that's not it. I was under the impression that this is a muxless setup, so I should be able to get it working with AMD's power xpress stuff thru amdconfig for switching between the two. No dice tho. Even creating a simple xorg.conf file, it sill boots but doesn't use fglrx as far as I can tell

Comment

any new developments? I just received my envy15 and I'm having the exact same issue..

Originally posted by fearlsgroove View Post
        I had run amdconfig as sudo so that's not it. I was under the impression that this is a muxless setup, so I should be able to get it working with AMD's power xpress stuff thru amdconfig for switching between the two. No dice tho. Even creating a simple xorg.conf file, it sill boots but doesn't use fglrx as far as I can tell

Comment

Unfortunately no .. had some work to do so I uninstalled fglrx and using FOSS driver for now. Hoping to try to look at it some more this weekend or something. I don't really have any idea what else to try tho.
          Last edited by fearlsgroove; 27 June 2012, 01:18 PM.

Comment

By the way, the list of PCI IDs is here: http://developer.amd.com/download/pc...s/default.aspx

May 2012 driver ID's: http://developer.amd.com/gpu_assets/...t_May_2012.txt

Your ID is not yet listed there.

Comment

I looked through fglrxko_pci_ids.h that Kano mentioned and confirmed 682F is in there. Can anyone suggest why the amd tools would still not find any supported devices? Any way to force the driver even with a watermark?

Comment

Thats normal for amd. You have got a chip with a pci id which would basically work, but amd did not test it. Therefore the id is not in tools activated and it would not be in the control file (there must be a list of pci ids as well). I wrote several times that this is very stupid and should not be done, but amd changes nothing about it. Basically the same pci ids which are in the header file should be ok for the tools. And the whole signature/control check should be completely removed. I wrote a binary hack to disable it, but i still dislike it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  Thats normal for amd. You have got a chip with a pci id which would basically work, but amd did not test it. Therefore the id is not in tools activated and it would not be in the control file (there must be a list of pci ids as well). I wrote several times that this is very stupid and should not be done, but amd changes nothing about it. Basically the same pci ids which are in the header file should be ok for the tools. And the whole signature/control check should be completely removed. I wrote a binary hack to disable it, but i still dislike it.
                  Got it thanks! I was almost there from reading other posts but hadn't quite put it altogether. Is your binary hack available in a way I could test?

Thanks again!

Comment

I tried the install-fglrx-debian.sh from kanotix.com and it installed without error. amdconfig still reports no supported adapter, so it also wrote a barebones xorg file and it does appear that it was using the fglrx driver after that, however there was some crazy visual lag when dragging windows, and I still can't configure anything, especially power xpress, which was the point for me

Interestingly I just got this email from HP about my order:

Thank you for your purchase of an HP Configure-to-Order notebook computer. It had been discovered that during a recent product offering transition the graphics card which had been included in your configuration had accidently not been transitioned within our configurator to its successor, under the model series you had selected. This older graphics card option has also become no longer available for use in production within this transition.

As a result, we had provided your build with the 1GB Radeon(TM) HD 77500M GDDR5 Graphics [HDMI, VGA] graphics card which is the successor to the 1GB AMD Radeon(TM) HD 7690M that was being offered with this model series.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and thank you again for selecting HP as your product of choice.

Regards,
                    Regan Manning
                    CTO Customer Advocate
                    HP Home and Home Office Store
                    I guess I'll cross my fingers and see if AMD releases a supporting driver. I have 30 days to return the bitch

Comment

Working...
                    X