Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland, Weston 0.95 Pre-Release Is Available

Phoronix: Wayland, Weston 0.95 Pre-Release Is Available

In preparation for the Wayland/Weston 0.95 release in early July, a pre-release is now available (v0.94.90) that gets ready for this important milestone...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does this means that when the v1.0 is out we can start using it instead of xorg ? (For the applications and DE that support it of course).

One last question, does Wayland support natively a solution to make Optimus work ?

Comment

Originally posted by aliasbody View Post
      Does this means that when the v1.0 is out we can start using it instead of xorg ? (For the applications and DE that support it of course).

One last question, does Wayland support natively a solution to make Optimus work ?
      Wayland should make life easier for Bumblebee, no more. There is no such thing called native solution to support Nvidia Optimus in Linux unless Nvidia decides to open their drivers or alike. And in their latest response to Linus Trovald, they confirmed that they're not willing to open anything but have their own philosophy on how to support Linux. That's a petty.

Comment

I run Rawhide so I have had wayland packages installed on my system for quite a while. But up to now we haven't had weston available. I just checked and I see it is now available as well. Though only at version 89-0.4. When I installed it it pulled in libxkbcommon so it looks like it has keyboard support. Good progress.

My question now is how do I make the pieces work? In this first round does X still start and then kick off wayland? Do we start wayland and then it calls X as needed? Is there a startW? Can any one point me at some docs that will help me try and cobble this together? I know it is still a work in progress but dang I'm the kind of person that just needs to look, touch and feel. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Hanynwosky View Post
          Wayland should make life easier for Bumblebee, no more. There is no such thing called native solution to support Nvidia Optimus in Linux unless Nvidia decides to open their drivers or alike. And in their latest response to Linus Trovald, they confirmed that they're not willing to open anything but have their own philosophy on how to support Linux. That's a petty.
          It is not a bad news after all... I mean it can be worse... I prefer have direct access to my Nvidia using bumblebee, than doing that with virtualgl :S.. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Weston still does not have --version or --help parameters. Nor does it have a manpage.

You can try Weston in Ubuntu 12.10 alpha, but it only have one application, some terminal.
            Also, I just managed to run it under a window in X, not by itself.
            So not very useful yet.

Also the mouse cursor lags while running Weston under a virtual machine.

Comment

The Wayland mailing list is quiet the last few days, I wonder why.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                The Wayland mailing list is quiet the last few days, I wonder why.
                I guess most of them are just testing the code or try to port the client libraries (like gtk, it doesn't use the new shm pool) and the likes.

Comment

multi-monitor support?

i am constantly disappointed by the multi-monitor support in gnome or kde. i am certain that most of the developers never see more than one monitor and definitely never more than two. what kind of support will wayland have for multi-monitor setups?

Comment

Originally posted by mtk0 View Post
                    i am constantly disappointed by the multi-monitor support in gnome or kde.
                    What exactly are you missing?

Comment

Working...
                    X