mb comparison and gigabit marvel ethernet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mb comparison and gigabit marvel ethernet

I was wondering if it's possible to obtain any info about motherboards with the gigabit marvell ethernet controllers.

In particular, Marvell 88E8056 and Marvell 88E8053.

The first one is in the P5K-E and although it works in Linux (tested on this site), that was in Ubuntu and using the wireless. How would one know if it works in other distros (i.e. the wireless)?

I have googled and read people having problems with the wired NIC Marvell 88E8056 ethernet controller. The Marvell 88E8053 might work, though, as it's a little older, right?

I have tried to find out but still can't confirm whether the Linux LAN drivers on the Marvel website actually work and allow an almost out-of-the-box experience. I think the reason many of the motherboards work with Linux is when it's a dual ethernet board that includes a PCI controller (either all PCI or a PCI coupled with a PCI-e). AFAIK, the Abit IP35 series only uses PCI built-in NIC. I think the Abit IP35s use the Realtek RTL8110SC (ethernet controller/drivers) and that's PCI.

This might not make much of a difference but I seem to recall that there might be some difference in transfer speed. I'm not sure so I am hoping someone replies with the answer and any other helpful info.

Thanks in advance for any comments and/or answers.

I plan on multi-booting Mepis 7, Debian Sid (flavour, Sidux for e.g.) or Testing, *buntu 7.10 and Fedora 8.
Working...
X