Xonotic Aims To Be The Best Open-Source FPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vertexSymphony View Post
    These people deserve a big fscking applause for continuing the development of the (now commercial) game Nexuiz ... they are simply amazing, their work is noticeable indeed !!
    The (now commercial) Nexuiz has nothing in common with real Nexuiz, which became dead due to main developers becoming basically jerks, disrespecting everybody who worked on real Nexuiz. Xonotic was not a continuation of Nexuiz, but rather full restart from scratch, with full accent on being gpl and state of art. Yes, they are amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by TechMage89 View Post
      Only GFX improvements? Quake-style shooter? Are you guys playing the same game I am? Yes, it's an arena shooter, but it feels a lot more like Unreal than Quake, and the weapons have been improved a lot, adding quite a bit of depth to the game (and making it very satisfying to play) ... UT and Quake are both arena shooters, yes, but they play very differently. I don't actually like Quake much, because it is too much about twitch-response, rather than timing and strategy. I would say Xonotic is much more similar to Unreal, which I enjoy a great deal.[
      This I have to agree with, even though I personally prefer Quake styled shooters as I find them to be a lot more balanced. UT and the like have a lot more features, yes, but the core gameplay is not nearly as rounded and polished as good old Quake 3. They have a whole bunch of weapons which are mostly useless in most instances and maps which are often too large or poorly thought out to be truly good for the purpose, lacking the forethought put into most Quake maps. But the main difference is the physics, which in my opinion is where Quake really shines. Still, kudos to the Xonotic developers for forging their own path.

Originally posted by ronybeck View Post
      It looks visually impressive but I find Quake style FPS fundementally uninspiring. I was hoping for something with more depth in game play. It would be nice to see a team have a crack at something like Battlefield 1942. The game logic isn't such a huge stretch from a quake style shooter but is a lot more fun. We have enough quake style shooters. Really. We don't need another.
      It would be interesting to see what someone could do with the Enemy Territory code when it comes to creating an original game. Just create some new art, maps, weapons, and most importantly add bots (which is the main reason I prefer ET:QW over the original ET) and you would have something quite interesting on your hands. But that is of course easier said than done.

Comment

I'm loving it

I like Xonotic. They also have cool "Vehicles" CTF mode which really adds up. And intense gameplay is what makes it clearly one of best shooters I ever played.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
          The (now commercial) Nexuiz has nothing in common with real Nexuiz, which became dead due to main developers becoming basically jerks, disrespecting everybody who worked on real Nexuiz. Xonotic was not a continuation of Nexuiz, but rather full restart from scratch, with full accent on being gpl and state of art. Yes, they are amazing!
          Could you please give more information on how Xonotic is a full restart from scratch? If that's true, that adds even more awesomeness to their accomplishments

Comment

Working...
          X