Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA Anti-Aliasing Performance Under Linux

Default NVIDIA Anti-Aliasing Performance Under Linux

Phoronix: NVIDIA Anti-Aliasing Performance Under Linux

For some Sunday benchmarking, here are some results of the different anti-aliasing levels available within NVIDIA's binary Linux graphics driver when using a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 "Kepler" graphics card.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=17519

Yes, and there aren't even screen-shots to compare what the different settings look like?

There's no way a 'look' at Anti-Aliasing performance is meaningful without examining the actual visual quality of each level in addition to the effect on frame rate.

Erm... Wait... Why did the enabling of AA lead to a performance increase in some cases?

I can't wait till we all have high density displays so we can toss AA into the trash.

F

Quote Originally Posted by sloggerKhan View Post
    Yes, and there aren't even screen-shots to compare what the different settings look like?

There's no way a 'look' at Anti-Aliasing performance is meaningful without examining the actual visual quality of each level in addition to the effect on frame rate.
    I believe PTS has a SShot option. I'd take a peek at the OBM results from which the article is derived and see if you can find them there.

F

Quote Originally Posted by russofris View Post
    I can't wait till we all have high density displays so we can toss AA into the trash.
    That woun't magically make AA irelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by AJenbo View Post
    That woun't magically make AA irelevant.
    It doesn't need magic, it simply needs a high enough density so that aliasing doesn't occur to begin with.

F

You will always have aliasing on a pixel based display.

Quote Originally Posted by AJenbo View Post
    You will always have aliasing on a pixel based display.
    The point you are missing is that once pixels get too small to see with the naked eye, that aliasing is invisible.

Lol. Here I went and selected the 8x (4xSS, 2x MS) AA-mode as I thought it was the best blend between eye-candy and performance. I probably wasn't the only one thinking that SS had less fps-drop then the other modes.

Was there any measurable difference in RAM or V-RAM usage? That would have been useful to see.
    Pics would have been nice but the differences can be hard to illustrate properly.

This was just as expected, SSAA is known to be the heaviest. It actually renders at 4x the resolution