Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Intel Publishes Ivy Bridge Programming Documentation

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,645

    Default Intel Publishes Ivy Bridge Programming Documentation

    Phoronix: Intel Publishes Ivy Bridge Programming Documentation

    Intel quietly pushed out their "Ivy Bridge" graphics programming documentation and register specifications on Friday. This Ivy Bridge graphics core programming documentation spans 17 files spread across three volumes and 2,468 pages of technical details concerning their latest-generation graphics...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEyNTY

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    515

    Default

    It was announced at the intel-gfx mailing list and on Eugeni's blog, which is aggregated at planet.freedesktop.org. You have an interesting definition of "quietly", I must say

    Also, how exactly is not winning that bid "costing" Nvidia money, can anyone explain the logic of that to me? Does Nvidia now need to pay large sums of money because they didn't get the bid or something? Because *that* would mean "costing them money".

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gusar View Post
    Also, how exactly is not winning that bid "costing" Nvidia money, can anyone explain the logic of that to me? Does Nvidia now need to pay large sums of money because they didn't get the bid or something? Because *that* would mean "costing them money".
    If Nvidia had had a proper open source driver, they would have gotten that order. Therefore their bad strategy (to keep their drivers closed) just cost them the order, which equals half a billion dollars.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M1kkko View Post
    If Nvidia had had a proper open source driver, they would have gotten that order. Therefore their bad strategy (to keep their drivers closed) just cost them the order, which equals half a billion dollars.
    Yeah, it cost the the order. But how is that costing them money? This is what I don't get.

    Hmm, either I read wrong before or the article has changed, it now says "beginning to lose them a great sum of money". I still don't get it. They had money and now they don't anymore? That would mean *losing* money. And there's still other people in posts saying "costing them money".
    Last edited by Gusar; 06-23-2012 at 01:40 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gusar View Post
    Yeah, it cost the the order. But how is that costing them money? This is what I don't get.
    At the end of the day, they would have had half a billion dollars more than they do now with their bad strategy.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M1kkko View Post
    At the end of the day, they would have had half a billion dollars more than they do now with their bad strategy.
    Yeah, but that doesn't mean "losing money" or "costing them money".

    I swear people have gone into total crazy mode since the Linus middle finger. *Total* crazy.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gusar View Post
    It was announced at the intel-gfx mailing list and on Eugeni's blog, which is aggregated at planet.freedesktop.org. You have an interesting definition of "quietly", I must say
    I also posted this to google+, facebook, twitter and irc. I don't know how much more louder should we announce a new set of documentation releases .

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eugeni_dodonov View Post
    I also posted this to google+, facebook, twitter and irc. I don't know how much more louder should we announce a new set of documentation releases .
    Try posting to the LKML. That should get Michael's attention.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    164

    Default Intel vs Nvidia

    With this documentation people can make a driver from scratch, regardless. So any shortcomings you might have today, can and will be addressed provided there is enough interest. With blobs you just can't fix things, or update them to work with new kernels/technologies.

    If i were to recommend a laptop purchase, i would suggest staying clear of Nvidia and pick Intel. No optimus. The people working in the kernel is giving suggestions to nvidia to reduce the damage. For example: minimize the blob and move it to user space, document and expose anything that can, interface from nouveau, etc. We will see if they listen.

    What happens if nvidia were to go bankrupt tomorrow, or decide to terminate the nvidia linux driver? Your hardware would cease to work. With Ivy graphics, this will not occur because the documentation is out.

    Is nvidia a hardware or software company? Do they want to sell chips or drivers? Intel makes hardware, and in fact general purpose processors. It is logical that people would want to program said processors. What about gpus? Aren't they becoming modern day co-processors? What good is hardware you can't use?

    It is not important for nvidia to release or open source their driver, but documenting their GPUs so people can use them is. Of course that would result in people making their own driver from scratch, but so what? Thats why they bough the hardware for, to use it. GPUs are rapidly becoming general purpose, with many parallel computing projects already. Nothing stops nvidia from moving blobs to firmware, either loaded from user space when driver initializes or stored in hardware, and expose the rest to the community.

    Optimus people are begging for minimal support, such as being able to use a single gpu all the time. Why can't they possibly help with that? I believe this is the kind of thing which made Linus say what needed to be said.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis3 View Post
    What happens if nvidia were to go bankrupt tomorrow, or decide to terminate the nvidia linux driver? Your hardware would cease to work. With Ivy graphics, this will not occur because the documentation is out.
    That's just plain old FUD at play. Documentation does not guarantee on going support. There are plenty of bugs that have been around forever in the free drivers for older product that have never been fixed meanwhile nvidia has continued supporting old legacy products.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •