Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powerplay with hd3850 and proprietary blob 7.12

Hi everybody!
    I do now have a 3850 in my computer and it *should* support powerplay, but it seems to not do so with the latest driver, this is what I do get when trying to get a list of the supported powerstates:
    Code:
    $ aticonfig --lsp
    Error: POWERplay is not supported on your hardware.
    Does anyone have some success in regards of powerplay with the rv670 cards, or is support simply missing in the driver?
    This is the lspci output regarding that very card:
    Code:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device 9505 (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
            Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device e630
            Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
            Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
            Memory at f5000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
            I/O ports at 9000 [size=256]
            [virtual] Expansion ROM at f4000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
            Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
            Capabilities: [58] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
            Capabilities: [a0] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-
            Capabilities: [100] Vendor Specific Information <?>
            Kernel modules: fglrx

01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device aa18
            Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device aa18
            Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 10
            Memory at f5010000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
            Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
            Capabilities: [58] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
            Capabilities: [a0] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-
            Capabilities: [100] Vendor Specific Information <?>
    To me it looks like an issue with the driver, maybe someone has more details about it? I am running gentoo unstable with xorg 7.3 and the latest ati driver.

On a somehow related area:
    Is there any information available that will allow reading the chips temperature and rpm data via any tools like lm-sensors? I think that the windows CCC does support reading such data (I don't have Windows anymore, so I can't check this myself...), will the proprietary driver/amdccle eventually support reading this data, or will (even better) the specs of how to read stuff to allow reading those sensors via lm_sensors or other free tools.

I did try it with changing the bios to a default ati bios, but there was no difference. So does anyone have an idea if that is a driver or a setup related problem? Are any specific kernel options needed to have powerplay work? I did enable all the power options that seem might be related to having problems. I am using a selfcompile 2.6.23.11 kernel on gentoo unstable.

Anyone any idea?

Comment

It's a driver thing I bet. When I had that card I would get the same message with the latest drivers (7.11 and 7.12).

Comment

it's the driver to blame

i get the same with a M76... but for me it's a bit more important on battery.

let's wait.

Comment

Working...
        X