Solid State Hard Drives and Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid State Hard Drives and Linux

I found the following article describing the fantastic performance of a solid state hard drive - Mtron Professional Series 16GB!

The first article describes the performance of a single drive: http://www.nextlevelhardware.com/storage/mtron16/

and the follow up article ups that with various Raid configurations: http://www.nextlevelhardware.com/storage/battleship/

Has anyone seen anyone decribing the performance using Linux? Maybe Michael could write an article?

I'll see about getting some SSDs for Linux
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      I'll see about getting some SSDs for Linux
      Thanks, that would be awesome!

Comment

Don't know if you've seen it or not, but I run an SSD, I posted about it a while back.

Not exactly an "official" SSD, but it is solid state and it has boosted my performance.

Happy 2008

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
          Don't know if you've seen it or not, but I run an SSD, I posted about it a while back.

Not exactly an "official" SSD, but it is solid state and it has boosted my performance.

Happy 2008

Thanks, I hadn't coupled SSD with Solid State Drive...

Where I live, the Transcend TS32GSSD25S-M 32GB seems to give even more bang for the buck, in a 2.5" form factor.

Comment

Originally posted by sabriah View Post
            Thanks, I hadn't coupled SSD with Solid State Drive...

Where I live, the Transcend TS32GSSD25S-M 32GB seems to give even more bang for the buck, in a 2.5" form factor.
            Heh... $336 or thereabouts is actually a good price for that sort of thing. I just wish they weren't 4-5 times the cost of a comparable traditional HD. Thankfully, the read/write endurance is getting where it's useful to be considering the devices and the pricing is now out of the ionosphere into the stratosphere. The average person could consider them and the average geek can almost justify these things out of the gate now.

Comment

I'd want one of those puppies myself :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                Heh... $336 or thereabouts is actually a good price for that sort of thing.
                Actually, I'm looking at a website with a $300 price, including shipping. These prices are free falling, indeed!

EDIT: Hrrrmmm... Had I convcrted the currency correctly the first time it would have been an even more impressive fall. In fact the price is at about 200 Euros, where I am, which makes it even more cheap, for the moment. I guess currently falling Dollar makes it that way.
                Last edited by sabriah; 02 January 2008, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X