Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNF: The New Package Manager Of Fedora 18

Phoronix: DNF: The New Package Manager Of Fedora 18

As mentioned earlier this week, Fedora 18 will feature a new package manager. Here's a redux with some additional information on DNF...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's the concern with just making these radical changes for yum 4.0? Fedora has got to be the largest yum user. Why isn't someone at Redhat/Fedora stepping up and just setting the direction for yum instead of forking it.

Comment

I thought DNF was shorthand for "Did Not Finish"

That would seem to be an unfortunate name for a package manager.

Comment

^ HA! I thought it was Duke Nukem Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by anonymous View Post
          ^ HA! I thought it was Duke Nukem Forever.
          Do they say somewhere, what it stands for?

Comment

Originally posted by disi View Post
            Do they say somewhere, what it stands for?
            Note about the name "DNF": it has no relevant meaning, meant as a project name only. Since DNF is a tech preview in Fedora 18 the Python module names can not be 'yum.*' as that would clash with yum itself.

Comment

Other distributions

This DNF package manager can be used on openSUSE, Gentoo and Ubuntu too?

Comment

I expect I'll be sticking with using the rpm command directly then.

Comment

Originally posted by leif81 View Post
                  What's the concern with just making these radical changes for yum 4.0? Fedora has got to be the largest yum user. Why isn't someone at Redhat/Fedora stepping up and just setting the direction for yum instead of forking it.
                  That's exactly what they're doing, they just gave the beta a new name so people could test it more easily.

Comment

Working...
                  X