Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Mac OS X 10.7.4 Lion vs. Ubuntu Linux

Phoronix: Apple Mac OS X 10.7.4 Lion vs. Ubuntu Linux

Before Apple releases Mac OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion" next month, here's a look at how the latest point release of Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion" is performing compared to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" and the latest development snapshot of Ubuntu 12.10 "Quantal Quetzal" Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Apple is evil. Do not buy their products. Do not advertise for them. Do not mention them at all.
    It's like going into jail by free will because it's so cozy there.

Comment

Originally posted by mazumoto View Post
      Apple is evil. Do not buy their products. Do not advertise for them. Do not mention them at all.
      It's like going into jail by free will because it's so cozy there.
      Can't say that I agree with that. I think Apple is just someone who makes shiny hardware, they're nothing 'evil' like Microsoft.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
        Can't say that I agree with that. I think Apple is just someone who makes shiny hardware, they're nothing 'evil' like Microsoft.
        They're both evil, but MS is much worse. Good to see Ubuntu destroyed OS X. Btw. it's quite surprising Ubuntu was faster in many graphic tests while using Intel graphic card.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
          They're both evil, but MS is much worse. Good to see Ubuntu destroyed OS X. Btw. it's quite surprising Ubuntu was faster in many graphic tests while using Intel graphic card.
          How are MS worse?

(but I don't think either of them is evil..)

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post
            How are MS worse?

Oh wow, you must be young and new. Luckly, there's plenty of sources of why MS is evil. Enlighten yourself

As for apple, it's a mixed bag.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
              I think "destroyed" is debatable, much as I prefer to use Ubuntu as my personal OS, I'm jealous of the polish put into OSX and it's suite of apps.

I know the comparisons are all about PTS, but I think it would be nice to compare all the OSs from a functionality point of view.

Take typical home user actions (burn a CD, upload files to cloud storage, record TV, play games, streaming media to DLNA compliant devices) and compare the OSs that are (or seem to be, just my opinion) tailored to the home user (Ubuntu, Win7, OSX, Mint)

Quantifying "performance" is just subjective, but I think that's the part of OSX that Ubuntu is really competing with, not how fast it can read a disk.

Still.... WOOHOO WINNAR!!!

J.

Comment

How are MS worse?

Apple's problem:
                They overcharge for old products and patent every little thing they can possibly think of to sue companies (including those who make parts for them such as Samsung) with every chance they get. I don't find apple to be evil but they're blatantly assholes. Steve Jobs' personality matched his company, so with him gone and Tim Cook taking the lead, I'm already noticing some differences.

MS's problem:
                Oh.... where to begin. They're probably one of the most anticompetitive modern companies ever formed. In the beginning, they stole code from other developers, published the code themselves, and sued the original developers into oblivion. Back in the day, they blackmailed companies like Apple (hell, even Intel got blackmailed at one point) by saying "All Macs must ship with IE pre-installed or else we will stop making MS Office releases for Mac". Then there's things like how MS would find something with immense potential to be popular, but is only supported on a different platform. MS would buy out the company supporting it (for example, Bungee). Then there's MS's classic anticompetitive tactic which is known as Embrace Expand Exterminate, where MS out of the blue decides they love a product that they used to despise, then they actively start developing toward it, and once they get just enough of their code pushed in there to make a difference, they sue the hell out of any supporting companies due to some tiny hole in the licensing of the entire product. This has completely crumbled several companies or otherwise badly crippled others (such as Sun Microsystems). This tactic scares me because they appear to be doing it to linux right now, I'm just not really sure how they think they can get away with it.

As for anything MS can't compete against, they just buy out the company, like Skype.

Comment

Look at how awful the color scheme of Ubuntu is when placed next to OS X.

Is it me? Do I not know what looks good and what doesn't?

Comment

How are MS worse?

Then you know nothing. MS is much worse, because it has monopoly and Linux kicked them hard in other markets.

Comment

Working...
                    X