Linux Driver Support Still Leaves A Lot To Desire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by archibald View Post
    I take issue with your description of playing games as "stupid crap" - what's wrong with playing them?
    Aren't game consoles supposed to handle gaming perfectly well? Even with the stuff like humble bundle, these are mostly binary blobs that one has to willingly run on his computer. Maybe I'm just too paranoid, but I'm not feeling well about it. IMHO fast 2D graphics is way more important for normal desktop computers when they are used as intended.

Comment

For me most the hardware I've had since I run exclusively Linux (about 8 years) worked out of the box. The problem is that usually the ones that don't work inmediately, usually don't work at all. currently I do my homework before buying anything, so I avoid surprises afterwards, but it has happened to me that I need to print something and the only printer I had near me was a windows only.

Currently the only hardware that does not work in my notebook is the hdmi connector. My notebook has Optimus, and the hdmi is connected to the nvidia card only, so if I use bumblebee + bbswitch I can use the nvidia card, but the hdmi output is not accesible, and it is very annoying. The only solution I think I have it to wait for Wayland.

And also, wanting to play a game from time to time des not make you virgin and living in a basement. I'm married and I live 13000+ km from my parents.

Comment

Originally posted by ariendj View Post
        I'm not saying your criticism is unfounded but it does show that you are biased towards modern gaming hardware. Gaming hardware is usually made for windows, hence the driver trouble.

As I'm no gamer, do not care for Creative soundcards or high resolution mice I find linux driver support far better than in windows.

Also often the Linux driver is better than the windows one, they get more testing because kernel drivers support a certain chip while win drivers support a certain manufacturer's card.

Thanks for banning Quadri-whatever by the way
        Gaming hardware is sound cards and graphic cards? Sound is something I think everyone wants working. Graphics acceleration has become standard in nearly everything. Even FireFox is accelerated. OpenCL would have applications outside of games as well.

Also, like it or not, people don't go out and buy the latest fastest computer for typing documents and sending out E-Mails.

You're either....

A. An artist who's going to need the fastest graphics hardware anyway.
        B. A gamer who wants the best frames per second.
        C. Someone who has too much money.

Comment

Originally posted by archibald View Post
          I take issue with your description of playing games as "stupid crap" - what's wrong with playing them?
          Foamy the Squirrel can answer this question.

Tired of people complaining that video games are a waste of time? Foamy enlightens the world on the value of this over-looked art form. It's a ready-made ran...

Also Extra Credits.

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.
          Last edited by Dukenukemx; 21 June 2012, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
            Video games = pasty whiteness, stinky, living in mom's basement, no life, virgin.
            Sorry if that offends you, but it is what it is.
            That's a pretty depressing world view... and also wrong. I play video games (including some Tribes Ascend before bed last night... fun times), have a tan from the biking I do after work, showered this morning, am married, and live in an apartment (buying a house a week from next monday). Not everyone who plays video games is an awkward, socially-inept teenager.

Comment

I just don't like linux being held back because its seen as an OS to use for your old P3 computers to be faster.

Instead of pushing linux with the latest and greatest hardware (which will usually be gamers), we got people using a WM that uses 80mb because omg kde and gnome use too much memory, preferring to only use open-source drivers and they don't care about performance because it just needs to display a terminal, no nvidia surround or ati eyefinity type setups because most just have one 19" CRT.

But then again I guess 90% of linux users have old computers anyways.

Comment

Woa

Let's focus on the issue, and not on gamer hate (what the hell?).

If our graphics drivers better supported Linux, we'd all be using to Wayland very shortly.
                We could get rid of our old cruft that is X11.

That's #1 reason our graphics drivers need to be better.

Also, S3TC- hasn't that uncertainty cleared up? And if not, why isn't the Linux Foundation purchasing this?

Linux needs a patent anti-troll non-profit to buy up patents that threaten or hold Linux back.

Comment

Wow...I'm supprised no one else seems to have noticed what I've noticed...

Easy and out of the box hardware support very much matters on the distro. For instance, on Kubuntu, all of my hardware works out of the box. On Fedora KDE, only one of two printers works. The printer that does work has a built in scanner and fax machine, but the scanner does not work. I think part of the goal should be to get all of the drivers properly into the kernel so it's always out of the box support, not only on certain distros. I suspect that in the long run it would save developer time so that they could focus efforts on other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by boast View Post
                    Instead of pushing linux with the latest and greatest hardware (which will usually be gamers), we got people using a WM that uses 80mb because omg kde and gnome use too much memory, preferring to only use open-source drivers and they don't care about performance because it just needs to display a terminal, no nvidia surround or ati eyefinity type setups because most just have one 19" CRT.
                    I do care about the performance of my terminal. And, for example, the proprietary fglrx driver really sucks for 2D graphics. I think they just got their priorities wrong and are focusing on 3D too much. I'm using the open source driver because it simply has *much* better performance for the use cases I care about. Yay for having the choice

Comment

Yeah, actually power management is better on Ubuntu 12.04 than with Windows 7 on my Thinkpad X121e (AMD E-350). Although that's not the only reason I use Ubuntu on it.

Comment

Working...
                      X